MadHungarian

Replacing Early Winegard TV Antenna

Spring has finally sprung, and I started looking our coach over yesterday to get an idea of what I need to do to get her in shape for a little traveling this year. I thought it would be a good idea to get on a ladder and check out the roof to see if it needed to be coated - I'd rather do it now than wait till June when it's 100+ degrees outside. Figured I should also take a look at the TV antenna, since it wouldn't crank up when we were at the track and we got nada for reception. Upon inspection I found that there was an antenna BASE, but no antenna, and that someone in the past has siliconed the antenna base up and had left it. So, I get online last night and start looking at new antennas, and I see that Winegard has this really nice RM-DM61 HD/Satellite combo antenna...

selector-rm-dm61.jpg

I'm thinking "For the money, that's just what I need!!".......unfortunately, after reading the instructions, I'm not too sure that the unit will work on our Class C, because I don't think there's enough room for the unit to rotate so it can be aimed due to roof obstructions such as the A/C and the fridge vent. So I'm wondering what my options are now... can I mount a unit like this Sensar...

rvw-395-selector.jpg

On the roof to replace the old style non-HD antenna and still pick up "off the air" channels? Any help would be appreciated....

It's most likely that the Batwing you show in the second picture is what was there originally and putting a new one in that spot will give you the best available OTA TV reception. If you also need satellite TV reception for Dish or DirecTV (DirecTV would be the best option for that antenna) then I would take a look at the specific clearance requirements and see if you have the space. The Batwing will give you the very best range for OTA TV if that's your priority, but the omnidirectional antenna on the combo unit will likely do OK as long as you are within 30-40 miles of a TV tower.

Personally, (my own personal opinion) I prefer the Batwing for TV and some other device for the reception of satellite TV.

Great. While you are up there installing the batwing, just be sure you have good 12+ VDC in the coax connected to the antenna head. It will not work properly without it.

I use the batwing for local channels and replace mine after connector failure right inside the roof. You will get a short lead, a long lead, connector and booster. You probably will not be abled to use the long lead as access to running it might be near impossible through the ceiling. That is ok just be sure you clean up the roof lead use the new short lead on the antenna and new connector.

Coat all connection with dielectric grease to weatherproof and prevent problems later. Use a good rv roof sealer to seal the base of the antenna and roof connector if separated. Mine also had a micro switch that turns on a dash light if antenna is up. if you see a couple of 16 gauge wires up there that is what it is for. You can test it by twisting the wires together and turning on the ignition and see if antenna up light comes on.

The 12 volt booster will be most likely be in one of the front cabinets near the switch box and I recommend to go ahead and replace it with the new one. Be sure you note output to tv's and input to antenna and wiring to 12 volts.

My tv were HD flat screens tv but not digital so I had to installed a convertor box since my coach was built early 2006. If your coach was built before 2006 most likely it not digital ready and have to installed a converter box. After 2006 you may have digital ready tv's. It's nice to be able to tune into local channels when boondocking.

Thanks for the info y'all. The coach is an '86, but I just bought my new TV in January, so it should be HD ready. Should be able to pull power for the antenna from the existing amplifier leads. Might even be able to hook up a warning buzzer and light over the dining area, since it would power up when the coach power came on KOEO.

Got the new Sensar mounted up yesterday and hooked up. It's awesome - picking up HD channels as far away as Nashville, which is about 80 miles from here! Amazingly clear for the distance. I highly recommend this antenna if you need a replacement!! :)