mtmazz

Rules and Laws For Dolly/Dinghy Towing?

Is there a web site or information source with a list of the laws and rules in various states for towing a dinghy or dolly vehicle?

I live in Minnesota and am very new to the coach world, I have a 36' coach and a 1999 Taurus that from what I have read cannot be flat-towed (even though Blue Ox does make a base plate for it, for some reason?) and thus it must be on a dolly so I am looking to purchase one. In Minnesota auxiliary/trailer brakes are not required for a 3300 lb vehicle on a dolly, but I am wondering about other states? Also most of the dollys I have looked at have their own trailer lights - does this mean the car's brake & signal lights do not need to be wired to the coach when towed on a dolly like they do when being dinghy towed? Also I have read rules about most or all states requiring "breakaway brakes" but my searches for tow bars & dollys haven't come across any mention of kits or how to install breakaway brakes on a dinghy or dolly vehicle.

If anyone knows of an information source other than scouring each individual state's statute web sites, any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

The rules that apply in your home state "where you are licensed", applies in all states that you visit. This may not be the best in some scenarios, such as going where there are very steep grades to descend. So for that reason, let your conscience be the guide.

Kay

Kay,

While that statement DOES apply to licensing, it does NOT apply to weight restrictions, brake requirements, speed limits, length restrictions, etc.

Each state sets these requirements that apply to all vehicles in that state irrespective of state of license.

Mark the lights on the dolly is all you need I towed with one for a few yrs and never had a problem, as for brakes and breakaway brakes Acme makes one with both and I would imagine so do other mfg. There is one for sale on IRV2 in the classified folder in FL, here is the link for Acme.

http://cartowdolly.com/features/

http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=5736&title=brand-new-acme-tow-dolly&cat=23

We are also new to towing with a tow dolly. We purchased the Model 300 w/Led lights, wheel straps, safety chains & ratchets from
Acme Tow Dolly Co.,LLC, PHONE# (336)996-4396. Check out their Dolly online, Facebook, or give them a call. They also give you a 5 year warranty.

http://www.cartowdolly.com

Mark the lights on the dolly is all you need I towed with one for a few yrs and never had a problem,

I can't find the thread right now but at least some states (maybe not all) require the lights to be at the rear. Thus the dolly lights are fine when the dolly doesn't have a vehicle on it, but when the vehicle is on the dolly either the vehicles lights must be wired in or some type of accessory light bar is needed so the lights are at the rear since the vehicle sticks out far beyond the dolly lights.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided against the dolly and even against towing anything at all for the time being. I looked at the few trips I will be taking this year and next, and for all of them it will be cheaper to rent a car where I am going (plus might save some mileage in the coach) than it would cost to buy a dolly or equip any of my vehicles with a tow bar & brakes & lights etc. to be able to flat-tow. Once I do more traveling I might reconsider.

We had an interim time we wanted to take MH trip, but new dinghy was not set up yet with baseplate etc. We chose to go on the trip but without towing, and used rental car (Enterprise came to pick us up at cg, then when turning in rental, they returned us to cg ). Only downside we had was it meant not having rental car till second day (we arrived late pm at cg first day), and we had to return rental car on the day before we wanted to leave cg (in case returning rental might delay meeting 'checkout' time req'd at cg).

The city we traveled to had multiple locations for enterprise, and each 'served' delivery/ return services to a specific area of that city, suburb. So, if the location is not "staffed" sufficient levels the day, time of day you want rental delivered, or to have you returned to cg after turn in car.... They may not have extra person/s available that can leave rental office to pick up/ return you to cg. Be sure to ask so your preferred schedule will work with staff levels ; -)

Happy travels!