oscarpower

Bike Rack Between RV And Tow Car?

Need advice!

Our motorhome is a 28' Coachmen/Concord that has a nice bay window and thus, it is without a ladder at the back to hang bicycles. We also have a Blue Ox tow bar for our Hyundai.

It is not comfortable to have the bicycle rack at the back of the tow car. The bikes are in the way every time we open the trunk.

A few days ago an RV passed ("flew") by ours and they had the bikes hooked up between the RV and the towed car. Can you advice on the best way to do this? I've looked at Camping World catalogs and have not seen any samples.

Of course, if I could have the best of all worlds, I would place a 19" cargo caddy that we use when not towing and on it we would carry the cooler and my bike! :-), and then the Hyundai. All three!!

Am I asking too much?

Thank you,

Jocelynn W. Power

Gainesville, FL

post-23064-0-49716500-1397054268_thumb.j

We have a nice arrangment to carry 2 bikes on our MH. (Sorry no cargo caddy) It is a Swagman Traveler XCS2 (p/n 64664) and a part called a "bent towing receiver" slides onto the MH side our 6" drop receiver. Wish I had the expertise to sent a picture. From this drop receiver is where we have our Blue Ox for our tow vehicle. This "bent towing receiver" (that's what swagman call it) is about

19" high and sticks out 14". This is where the bike rack slides onto and it's a good 3.5 feet of the ground. So our bike ride high on the back of the RV and still have lots of room to hook of the tow.

You can get a better look at it at swagman.net. I had to do a lot of measuring to be sure our bikes didn't rub against the MH.

Hope this helps......Rob

Yes, we have a Swagman also that we placed on our MH. I was trying to post a photo but not having success. We just bought a new toad and have purchased a different bike rack for the car. We want to sell the Swagman bike rack and live east of you in St. Augustine if that interests you, please let me know.

Hello Howde:

Yes, we are interested in knowing a little more of your Swagman bike rack.

1. Did you have it installed between the RV and the tow car?

2. Was it a "pain" like Greg 126 said, to stow and unstow the Blue Ox? Is that the reason that you bought a different one?

3. Style # ?, 1-2 or 3 - bike rack?

4. how much you are selling it for? and yes! a photo would be great.

You may write to me directly at: jmwirshing@gmail.com

Thank you,

Jocelynn Wirshing-Power

We just put a Roadmaster Dual Hitch receiver in the MH receiver. This allows the toad to be connected in the bottom receiver and a bike rack in the top receiver. They make both a 2inch and 4 inch drop. The 4 inch drop seems the better choice for us.

Very slick.

Thank you ALL for your replies and advice. It seems I will forget about the "cargo" caddy :( and have contacted "Howde" directly to get their used bike rack. :)

Ha! Another "fringe" benefit of FMCA.... Thank you FMCA

Jocelynn W Power

On 4/10/2014 at 7:55 AM, greg126 said:

I think that's what we have and it works well for carrying the bikes but it does make it a pain to stow and unstow the blue ox tow bar.

Greg, do you stow the tow bar due to concern over theft?