jamesaye

Replacement Head Lights Needed

I drive a 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter and on the few occasions when I have to drive at night, it feels like at 55 mph I am overdriving the headlights.

I have seen and am impressed by the ads for the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra replacement lamps. If you can believe their ads they content that they will provide up to 50% greater brightness, increase visibility down the road by up to 40%, and improve peripheral visibility by up to 50%.

Problem is I do not know which replacement lamp to buy. How do I determine the correct selection?

Additionally, do I need to run power through a separate relay to keep things from overheating or burning the supply wire up from a current draw that is too much?

Thanks for any advice/help.

James,

Before spending $$$, do a simple check:

With engine running, check voltage at the lights. Compare with voltage at the battery.

With engine running, voltage at the battery should be around 14 VDC. If voltage at the lights is more than about .7 VDC lower, all you may need it to get the voltage up where it should be.

For under $15, you can use a RELAY and INLINE FUSE and just use your head light switch to make/break the relay.

Let us now what you find.

James,

You might also check the adjustment. Your headlights may be set too low. Sorry I am not familiar with your coach, do you have coils or leaf spring front end? If coils do you have air bags? If so check the air. If your front end is low or your headlights are set too low you will feel as if you are driving ahead of your lights.

Herman