Sign in to follow this  
parsoc

Any Experience With1994 HR 34 Diesel? Worth A 2nd Look?

We have a chance to buy a 1994 HR diesel, 34Ft, 47Kmi, asking $16K. The sellers, whom we know, are the 2nd owner. He was a truck driver and has taken care of all the maintenance, as did the previous owner (as far as we can tell). It looks to be in very good condition and we were impressed with the condition of the original cabinets. It will take some modification to make it livable for us, and we know it needs an inspection, etc. We had turned it down initially due to timing (not having retirement funds yet and no financing for a coach that age), but now they are offering owner financing and that part would be very doable.

I am interested in advice/opinions of anyone who has had experience with this particular coach, or if there are any glaring problems we need to be aware of. I checked NADA and got information that HR didn't start making these until 1995 or so, but theres a big HR insignia on the coach, so not sure what that was all about.

Thanking you in advance!

Assuming that it is a pusher, being diesel, the chassis might have been produced in 94, and titled that way, although HR called it a 95. This may explain the NADA info differing, and this happens a lot of times. Is it a pusher?

What make is the engine? Being owned by a truck driver probably is a good thing. I know that Holiday Rambler was making a very well built unit in that date range. So it could possibly be a good deal, but if you don't know much about RV'ing, it will be well worth finding someone who does to check the unit and give an assessment. Not a dealer that would be trying to sell theirs instead, but a certified diesel mechanic, and also someone who knows what to look for in other departments, such as, roof, electrical, plumbing, and the many other items to look for, including rust.

Take some pictures and add them to your post.

Good luck hunting!!!

Thank you for your reply. It's a Cummins engine, Allison tranny, Can't remember size. All manuals and service records are available. Yes, we plan on getting it inspected.

This is all a little daunting, I have to admit. We've had limited RV experience, 18 day trip CA to GA in a friend's Winnebago Brave in 2004.We got the bug for the RV life then! This site and one other have been excellent in terms of advice, experience, etc. So we march on! We're headed to an RV show in OR tomorrow, that may further confuse us or give us some clarity, who knows!

Thanks again for the reply

Yes I will post pictures if/when we see it again.