Sign in to follow this  
roseharms@tmawind.com

Gas mileage

Hello, we have an 07 Winnebago Voyage, bought new. Has about 7000 miles on it. When we don't tow a vehicle, we get about 7 mpg, with a vehicle (09 GMC Acadia) we get 6 to 6.5 mpg. We have done all the obvious, lighten our load, drive below the speed limit 5-10 mph, and no jack rabbit starts or stops. We keep hearing people with Voyages (2 anyway) that say they get 9 -11 mpg, even pulling a vehicle. We rather doubt that, but would like to hear from others with an 07 Voyage OR a 34 ft RV with 2 slides, and gas Workhorse engine.

We heard that it might be an 02 sensor but also heard the 'check engine light' would go on if that was the case. We plan to do a visual on any wires in the spark plug area for heat damage etc.

Suggestions welcomed and please tell us if you have a like model what your mpg is.

Please let us know what chassis you have so answers will be relevant to you.

What is your GVW and when towing GCW?

Do you drive in flat or hill/mountain country?

As far as engine tune, best answer is to go to virtually any auto parts house and have any stored engine codes downloaded for free.

Brett Wolfe

I can't answer the question from practical experience, but I'd think your milage was low for that setup.

(we have an 07 Winnebago Voyage, bought new. Has about 7000 miles on it.-07 Voyage OR a 34 ft RV with 2 slides, and gas Workhorse engine.)

8.1's with the Allison do as well or better than my Ford, and should be at least in the range of 8mpg.

Under the category: Technical:Engines look for a forum topic on Improving Fuel Mileage. I started this discussion quite a while ago and it has had many comments. Among them you will find many suggestions for improving fuel mileage beyond avoiding jackrabbit starts. These may help you improve your fuel mileage if you find no physical problems with your rig.

Also, keep in mind that some people only have a rough idea of what fuel mileage they get. Your mileage will vary considerably based on a number of factors and some people, like fishermen, grab the best mileage they have ever had and tout that as their fuel mileage. I have a record of every gallon of fuel I have put in my RV, where and when it was added. In a spreadsheet I maintain this record and at each fill up calculate the fuel mileage for that tank of fuel. I am also able to calculate the cumulative fuel mileage for my motor home over the period of time I have owned it. That is a fuel mileage figure that is 100% certain. Few people are this obsessive about their fuel mileage! So I take most fuel mileage claims with a grain of salt.

Someone else that actually records their fuel!

I set up an excel spreadsheet that accounts for gallons purchased, dollars spent, single tank, 4 tank and lifetime MPG as well as a hyperlink over to the log for recording where we went and what we did. Our lifetime MPG is currently 6.53 Ford v10, Itasca 32k and we tow a jeep liberty almost every trip. Driving reanges from flat to alleganey, blue ridge and the like as far as mountains.

I'd love to get up to 8MPG, but not sure if any of the add on kits are worth the cost.

Jim

Just a couple of comments on MPG

I now have a 2005 Cruise Master, 36' on a workhorse W-22 chassis. I have added the short Banks exhaust and a KN air filter. My TOAD weighs 3500 lbs. I average 8.7 MPG, with my best ever 9.3 MPG.

My prior MH ( 30' ) had a Chev. 454 on a P-32 chassis. I had the full Banks exhaust, Hyper-Tech chip, and the Jackobs performance ignition. My TOAD then was a SUV at 3800 lbs. I averaged 10 MPG.

Some additions do work, but a lot depends on how one drives. When I added the Hyper-Tech chip, it boosted performance and if not carefull I would drop in mileage.

It's my feeling that the best bang for the buck, is the Banks exhaust system.

Just happened to think. On the prior Chev. 454, I did change the O2 sensor every year. The "check engine" light did not come on. But MPG would decrease by apx. .9 mpg, after the change it was back up to normal. I found this one time after the light did come on and my mileage was dropping by about 2 + mpg.

Based on our experience, your mileage sounds about right.

Our 35' 1991 Southwind was good for about 6mpg, Oshkosh chassis, Ford 460 V8 and a three speed transmission. After that we had a V10 '96 Dodge Ram pulling a 15,000 lb 5th wheel and got about 6 mpg towing. We now have a 35' '07 Tiffin Allegro, Ford V10, and get 6 to 6.5 mpg.

Combine the brick shape with the weight... :rolleyes: