dickzupp

Travel Supreme Steering

I have a new to me 2003 41 select Travel supreme mh. It has a problem with the steering. It doesn't matter if you are on a highway or a city street. It will drift to the right and when you steer to correct it I end up chasing it. (over steering one way and then the other).

I have had the steering alignment checked at a truck alignment shop and found out that all was well. They did find some bushing on the rear stabilizer bar that were slightly worn so I had them replaced. It still does the same thing. The alignment shop checked the tire air pressures and put in the correct amount. Still very hard to drive.

Tire sizes are 295 80r 22.5 Michelin.

What am I missing?

dickzupp, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

look at this link, there are some recalls on your model year

http://www.automd.com/recall/travel-supreme_m/motorhome_mm/2003_y/

This one caught my eye.

2003 Travel Supreme Motorhome Suspension Recall 03V341000

Campaign Number: 03V341000 Manufacturer: Travel Supreme, Inc.

Date Manufactured: Sep 16, 2003 Mfr's Report Date: Sep 15, 2003

Vehicles Affected: 72 Component: Suspension

Also, you might want to have the steering gear box and linkage checked out for unusual play or binding.

Rich.

To add to Rich's suggestions: You said the alignment shop set tire pressure correctly-- did they have the wheel position or axle weights? If not, how did they determine correct PSI.

Per the Michelin Inflation table http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv_en_us/tires-retreads/load-inflation-tables.jsp

correct PSI could be 75 or 120. Improper inflation (for your load) can sure cause drivability issues.

dickzupp,

Have a good truck alignment shop check the toe-in. If it is set with too much toe-out you will have constant wandering. When one wheel is going straight the other is will try to pull out and you will correct in the opposite direction and the reverse happens.

Herman

If the vehicle is pulling to the right:

1. Ehe camber is off. That's one of the most difficult adjustments to make on a solid axle. It means using a hydraulic jack to bend the axle. Unless you have Independent Front Suspension, in which case it should easily be adjustable.

or

2: There could be a problem with the right front wheel bearing

or

3: There could be a problem with the brake on the right front wheel.

or

4: There could be a front steer tire problem.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Well the steering problem hopefully has been solved. In nontechnical terms the Spartan chassis on this coach has a very short turning radius and one of the bell cranks had a serious bearing problem letting the drag arms flex when they should have remained straight. That let the front end kind of lead a life of its own and when the steering wheel was turned there was a delayed reaction that caused over steering. I drove it yesterday and it was much better and when we get the new tires on it this next week it should be ready to go. The mechanic said he would check the gear box if necessary and play with that to make it better. More to follow and thanks for the replies.

What steering gear box do you have, the Shepard is non adjustable for slack has to be removed and rebuilt. the TRW is adjustable it has a adjustment screw to take out excess slack. The best I remember the Shepard M100 that was used on a lot of the pushers should have from 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch play.