Sign in to follow this  
DaveKerr

Is There A Popular - Go To - Vehicle For Towing 4 Down?

I need to replace my tow car. When we started towing 4 down 12 years ago, the Saturn was the popular choice. Is there a choice like that now? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We've been towing a 2000 Chevy Cavalier, 4 speed auto transmission, under 3,000 lbs. No modifications were necessary. Very simple to use. Weight is a problem for me as i'm driving a Minnie Winne.

Found a tow as of 4/24. Thanks to all who have responded.

Found a 2010 Chevy Cobalt - ignition switch recall fixed - under 3,000 lbs, same as the Cavalier, just pull one fuse.

Dave,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not sure there is "one vehicle fits all". Many (including myself) two a small, light, manual transmission vehicle (Ford Focus). Others like the off road capability of Jeeps. Others need larger vehicles.

Here is a list of 2014 vehicles (actually you can access any model year for the last 10) to see what is towable 4 wheels down:

http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing/204-towing-guides-towing-four-wheels-down

This same discussions appear in various threads and various forums numerous times.

Many of us like the versatility and easy of setup of Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler and Liberty. Be cautious on choosing 2014 Jeeps as Chrysler has changed the specs and only the high end transmissions are flat towable. 2013 and down any with a transfer case can be towed 4 down.

I tow a 2009 Ford Escape Limited Hybrid. It works fine. I put a USGear brake assist into it and use a Blue Max Aventa tow bar. A little bit overkill, but I only plan on doing this once.

There are several good tow vehicles. If you are looking new the Honda CRV gets good reviews. The mechanic at Lazy Days in Tucson that sets up motorhomes and tow vehicles said he does 6 CRV's to one of any other vehicle. I took his advice and purchased a new 2013 CRV 2-wheel drive. Do your homework and decide how you want to use the vehicle. That should help in your selection.

I was able to get the 2014 guide today when I signed in. Are you a paid member of FMCA or just a registered member of the forum? I believe the towing guide may be for paid FMCA members only.

We tow a 2007 Jeep Liberty 4X4 it is very easy to put transfer case in Neutral and Key position does not drain batter like on most cars but most of all I like that it is build rugged enough to go over curbs because that does happen. The Jeep with it high ground clearance and off-road suspension is very forgiving. It is also fun for doing some minor off-road exploration.

Jeep - Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Cherokee (Old or new) and Liberty. I have Towed all of them except the new Cherokee at one time or another. They are all easy to set up and follow you around like an obedient puppy! :)

I agree kingfr on this. The Jeep sets up super easy, tows nice, can take something of a licking, and can be used for a great time off road when the time for play rolls around.

We tow a 2005 Jeep Liberty. Very easy to setup for towing and disconnect is just as easy. Then we can do some mild off-roading if we like.

Probably any manual shift vehicle would be the best. Automatics seem to have too many problems even though some are having good luck. I tow a Silverado 1/2 ton which has a v6 and 5 speed manual transmission. I have about 100,000 miles towed.

Currently tow a Saturn Vue, but my next will probably be a Chevy Equinox. The same vehicle as the Vue, and should be easily towable. Of course, you can use something with a manual trans, but that doesn't work for my DW.

I also do not wish to drive a manual shift any longer. I went through many years driving cars and large trucks (CDL A) with manual shift and I'm done with that. The Jeeps that are automatic with a transfer case to shift to Neutral work VERY WELL as evidenced by the numbers you see being towed all over the country. Jeeps have to be one of the largest group of vehicles being towed 4 down, many with auto transmissions, and trouble free!

I also do not wish to drive a manual shift any longer. I went through many years driving cars and large trucks (CDL A) with manual shift and I'm done with that. The Jeeps that are automatic with a transfer case to shift to Neutral work VERY WELL as evidenced by the numbers you see being towed all over the country. Jeeps have to be one of the largest group of vehicles being towed 4 down, many with auto transmissions, and trouble free!

Do appreciate your reply. I realized from the suggestions coming in that I should have provided more detail in my original post to narrow the suggestions. I edited my post today, with additonal detail. For my wife's sake, we'd prefer to stick with an automatic. All we did with the Cavalier was put the trans in neutral and the key in the first postion. No battery drain, no mileage registering on the odometer. I'm replacing the car because the frame rotted out, and is no longer safe. I have access to all of the FMCA towing guides - but a place to start is always nice. Thanks

For your Minnie Winne a Honda Fit might be a good choice. We have been towing our automatic Fit for three years and love it. It has a surprising amount of space inside for such a small car. The only car that I can think of that is more compact and towable is the Smart Car.

Well I had a Honda Civic I towed with a tow dolly but as I type this I am waiting for my 2014 Honda CRV all wheel drive to come out of make ready. I had the dealer install the Blue Ox base plate and wiring harness as part of the deal.

Bill

Do appreciate your reply. I realized from the suggestions coming in that I should have provided more detail in my original post to narrow the suggestions. I edited my post today, with additonal detail. For my wife's sake, we'd prefer to stick with an automatic. All we did with the Cavalier was put the trans in neutral and the key in the first postion. No battery drain, no mileage registering on the odometer. I'm replacing the car because the frame rotted out, and is no longer safe. I have access to all of the FMCA towing guides - but a place to start is always nice. Thanks

My CRV is auto. I don't need to drive a standard.

Bill

If you absolutey must have a 4wd, get a Jeep. If you want good all around reliable, versatile and economical transportation, get a CRV.

For your Minnie Winne a Honda Fit might be a good choice. We have been towing our automatic Fit for three years and love it. It has a surprising amount of space inside for such a small car. The only car that I can think of that is more compact and towable is the Smart Car.

Thanks for this suggestion. After reviewing all of the FMCA tow guides, this seems like it might be the perfect choice. Which company base plate are your using? We had been towing the Cavalier with a Falcon 2, and a Brake Buddy.

I tow a 2009 Honda CRV without any difficulty. Car's auto transmission no problems. Leave key in Acces. position and trans in neutral, emergency brake OFF. I follow HOnda Owner's Manual directions, though I DO NOT remove fuse. If towing all day I'll start car when we stop for lunch. Have only had drain on battery enough to jump start on two occasions and then not a problem to jump start as always carry cables or other device. Tow w/a Class C Itasca, Ford F450 engine. Have to downshift when on mountain upgrades, but seldom get below 50 MPH (Continental Divide in CO was a bit of a slow go, but not much of a challenge). Seems only lose about one MPG when towing. Hope this info helps.

Doc Mike

I tow a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox with all four wheels down. Just put in neutral, access key on and then I had them add a toggle switch so I did not have to pull a certain fuse. Works great.