Sign in to follow this  
bruceea

Harney Coach Works

We are considering the purchase of a 1999 Harney Coach Renegade, 300HP Cat. My biggest concern is the fact that I have read some reviews about poor stopping power claiming it is because it has Hydraulic brakes. These reviews came from NON Harney owners. Hydraulic brakes are used on many commercial trucks with over 30,000GVW so I'm not sure the review was accurate.

Does anyone have experience with a Harney?

I had hydraulic disc brakes on a older 34 foot Southwind diesel pusher. It stopped very well and it's easy to replace brake pads on it. It didn't have the high tech electronic used on systems today and the unit was gvw at 19,000 lbs.

We had a 1999 Harney Coach Renegade and never had problems with the brakes. We towed a small auto with a Brake Buddy auxiliary braking system. We had this braking system not so much because of the added weight of the auto, but to brake the auto in case of a break away.

Many Harney Coach motor homes had problems with delamination. Carefully, check the sides for irregularities. We did have to replace all the bin doors. The doors have aluminum frames that are screwed together with steel screws. The two dissimilar metals caused galvanic corrosion. I had firm in Elkhart, Indiana make new doors (they are not in business anymore), and had the lower body of the coach painted.

We drove the coach for 138,000+ miles with no other difficulties.

I agree with Ray. Nothing wrong with with hydraulic over hydraulic 4 wheel disk brakes. Like any other brake system, they are not maintenance free.

With the hydraulic over hydraulic, brake fluid should be changed every couple of years (just like on any hydraulic system with DOT III brake fluid) and the caliper slides cleaned and greased with caliper slide grease every couple of years.

BTW, we have had both air and hydraulic brakes and either one works very well.

bruceea,

Welcome to the FMCA forum.

The reference to poor braking with hydraulic brakes, might have been the fact that when the fluid gets hot there is more brake fade.

One has to remember that all braking systems will experience brake fade as things heat up.

Just need to keep from over driving the brakes! Going to fast down hill is not a situation anybody wants to be in.

Brett, Should the owner live in the North East, the entire braking system should be done yearly; if your chasing the best snow for snowmobiling and skiing. They just love salt in this part of the country !!!

Rich.

My Spartan chassis came with air over hydraulic disc brakes. They worked fine until I went with 22.5 wheels and then I had trouble stopping. I changed to full air brakes and no more problems.