robtomas

Disconnecting Fuel Line From Generator

I want to remove the generator from my RV. I am looking for the proper way to pinch off the fuel line running to it.

I have an old generator in our 96 Winnebago Adventurer. The generator has trouble maintaining 60Hz and stable voltage. I want to either replace it(most likely) or try my hand at fixing it more. Fixing it in place is a pain because of poor access and visibility to see what you are doing. The generator has a feed line coming from the RV's gasoline tank. If I want to remove the generator I need some way of pinching off the fuel line. The fuel line emerges from somewhere in the vicinity of where the gas tank is refilled as a solid tube, then runs as a rubber hose to the generator itself for about 12".

My guess is to use some clamp on the rubber line. But my concern is that a clamp might damage the line and cause a leak.

Does anyone know how to do it right? Am I being paranoid? A permanent solution would be nice. But I will settle for a good temporary one.

Thanks in advance.

If the generator compartment is high enough, just let gravity do its thing. Tape the fuel line up higher than the fuel level in your tank and problem solved. Put a little duct tape over the end to prevent evaporation.

rotomas,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

I have used a wooden dowel and a small hose clamp to keep the line(s) from leaking.

Could you post if your Generator is gas or Diesel for the forum group. Along with the model number.

There might be a solution to your problem before you go to pulling it out.

Rich.

I would buy a brass connector that allowed you to screw a cap on it on one end and for the hose on the other end from your local parts store. That is if you are planning on using the coach with generator removed.

Thanks for all the responses!

The generator is a gasoline Onan 5000 GenSet on the plate it on label on the side it says 4.8kW Model 5BGEFA26100M.

I have tried what I can as far as fixing it in its place. (did not even start when I bought it a couple years ago.)

-mistakenly replace the starter solenoid thinking it was why it was not starting

-Replaced voltage controller (that got it to start)

-blew sea foam through it per directions (helped a little)

-adjust governer (that was an improvement)

of course the oil has been changed. oil filter too. oh yes and the spark plugs.

I think the valves are not setting right. It needs a tear down.

The thing has been neglected. Previous owner always had hook ups. I am not doing much better by it. I have a 750W solar panel system. If I can brag. We can boon dock and have all the power we need. If it was up to me I would pull the thing out and never look back and smile for lowering the weight of the rig. ...but the better half wants a generator. love honor obey etc...I am getting a honda eu2000i. Enough off my life story.

aztec7fan thanks for the suggestion of raising the fuel line above the gas tank. Unfortunately do to the geometry of the line and gas tank that is not an option.

I really like the idea of capping it off with a brass connector fitting that will allow it to be tapped in the future if necessary. Thanks! Will try that.

I just use a round punch of the correct diameter to barely fit into the hose. Any round solid piece of metal works well. I don't like to pinch off lines, particularly older lines-- too easy to crack them.

Part of your problem could be the "old" line is sucking air some where between the tank and the generator. Friend had a Bounder of the same vintage as yours and the rubber line from the top of the tanks was cracked. Never could get it running until dropping the tank and replacing the old rubber line.

Lenp

Auto parts stores sell pliers made to pinch the hoses, inxpensive and quick. Sizes for everthing from radiator hose to fuel lines.

Ditto on replacing entire fuel line to gen from tank. Had the same problem on my Onan on a 2002 Pace Arrow. It was a dry rotted fuel line near the gas tank. Dropped the tank, replaced line and problem fixed.

Lenpa and Mable I have a dumb question.

By "dropping the tank" do you mean disconnecting the gas tank and lowering it? Do you mean just emptying it?

Thanks for previous and thanks in advance

There is an easy diagnostic for a bad fuel line. Buy 5' of fuel line and feed the generator from a gas can. If that known good supply makes it run and it will not run from the main tank (with proper fuel level in the main tank) replace the line.

There are also clear plastic fuel filters that you can temporarily put in-line at the generator. If bubbles are present, replace the line.

And, yes in most cases, the gas tank will need to be lowered from the chassis to access the top to replace the fuel line.

But, do the diagnostics first to verify that this is the problem. Certainly worth a couple of feet of fuel line!

As Brett says, yes the tanks must be lowered from the chassis - preferable to run the tank as low as possible first to reduce the weight. But,as Brett says, test it with an external source of fuel first.

Lenp