santacarver

Tip For Keeping Your Black Water Tank Clean

Here is what I do to help keep my black water tank clean after coach has been sitting for a while.

As you start your trip stop and buy a 10- 25# bag of Ice cubes Break it up and dump into the holding tank through the toilet. Add a couple gallons of water.

Now while your driving to your destination making all those turns, stops and starts, the ice is sloshing around breaking up any stuck material in the tank. eezy peezy.

Or, you can do nothing! Don't dump until the tank is nearly full or with at least 1/2 tank and you can dump as soon as you arrive from a good days driving. Use plenty of water and ocassionally use the tank flusher to fill the empty tank half way or so before you drive and dump when you get there. Otherwise, you really should not have to do a thing and you should not need any chemicals.

Add a cup or two of Calgon Water Softner along with the Pinesol and it helps even more. Especially if your in an area that has hard water

I use two capfuls of Calgon water Softner. What a difference when dumping.

I use a water softener in my coach so all water entering the tanks is already soft. I have no idea if that makes the flush any more or less effective.

read some time ago about using Ridex periodically to clean black tank but can't seem to find  thread on forum. even after using water flush system seem to have debris on sensor getting a false reading even when I am sure the tank is empty. Any thoughts or comments on benefit of filling a clean tank with water and dumping recommended amount of Ridex in tank and driving around for a while then letting is sit for few days before dumping and flushing tank. 

Ridex supposedly introduces more bacteria in a residential septic system, yet many critics claim there is no benefit of using this product. What we RV'ers should accept is our holding tanks are just that - holding tanks.  They are not septic tanks where bacteria is allowed to break down the waste.  

The only thing I've done in all the years of RVing is use plenty of water. I've never used any chemicals to perfume the waste.  I do clean the tanks a couple of times a year using the Geo method. Please Google it if you're not familiar with it.

John.

The best way to prevent false readings on any tank, install the Sea Level system, it goes on outside of tank!

One of those threads that makes me happy we don't have sensors on our tanks. In this case I think that simple is better.

Fresh water and waste water tanks are the same size. I know it's time to dump the holding tank when I run out of water, since we don't use the city water connection except to flush the system at the start of the season. Our tanks are translucent and easy to see in the bay, so every time I'm in the bay for supplies I take a look at the water & waste levels. Having a combined gray/black waste tank makes dumping super easy, and I do add the Calgon & Dawn as added insurance just in case. I've found that helps keeps the sides of the tank a bit cleaner after dumping, but it really doesn't affect much else. I'm not too terribly concerned about the cleanliness of the black tank, being that it is the black tank and will become filthy after the first use.