CarolNancy

Oxygen Equipment for Full timers

My husband uses oxygen 24/7. We are having problems with the VA in getting continued oxygen without having to go back to our home base in Amarillo, TX. every 6 months.

We have been checking into the Inogen 3G portable oxygen concentrator that weighs only 4.5 pounds and doesn't need refills. Has anyone had any experience with the Inogen?

Thanks. Carol

Nancy,

Sorry that you husband need the O2 so much. I am a vet. and volunteer at the Bonham VA Medical Center. There should be some way the VA can accommodate your husband. I know they can be obstinate at times. There are some nice portable concentrator on the market. Will the VA cover the cost? I know the cost of both the O2 and the concentrator. The O2 is a continued cost where the Concentrator is a one time expense. Maybe you can convince them of this. Good luck.

Herman

My husband uses oxygen 24/7. We are having problems with the VA in getting continued oxygen without having to go back to our home base in Amarillo, TX. every 6 months.

We have been checking into the Inogen 3G portable oxygen concentrator that weighs only 4.5 pounds and doesn't need refills. Has anyone had any experience with the Inogen?

Thanks. Carol

Hi Carol:

I too need oxygen 24/7 thanks to the first Golf War. I currently use these two portable machines:

Respironics EverGo

I bought this machine for travel and constant use. It's a great machine and will hold two batteries. that gives me about 6 hours use. HOWEVER, this machine only does pulse and will not work at night when I am on my APAP machine. However, for daytime use I prefer this machine. I use this one while driving the coach or other vehicle because it fits by the seat better.

Sequal Eclipse 3 (The current model is the Eclipse 5 - I don't know the difference)

I bought this machine to use with the APAP machine. It does both constant and pulse with a single button push to change betwen the two. If I am flying somewhere, this is the machine I take because I can use it 24/7 even with the APAP machine. HOWEVER, the battery on lasts me about 2.5 hours, it is a little bit louder than the Easy-go, and it physically is larger. However, the weight between the two is close.

I keep this one in the coach by the bed.

Both get the job done as I would expect the Inogen to be good as well. If you are looking at the Inogen One G3, it seems to be a little less capable than the EasyGo and it is pulse ONLY. It also only goes to 4 Bolos. You should consider the pressure your husband needs. I need 5 Lpm at night so this certainly would not work for me.

This is the company I deal with:

http://www.oxygenconcentratoro2.com/

They seem to be very good at talking you through the options once they see your perscription (you will need one to buy a machine legally - medical equipment and all). Their prices seem to be the lowest I have found, but several companies sell for the same lower price. I especially like how fast they ship and how easy they are to deal with....

I use a Respironics EverFlo Q at fixed locations. I dig it out of the trailer to give the Esclipse a break. The EverFlo is certainly not for carring around, but it is much less expensive than the mobile devices and to goes to 5 Lpm and I love it. However, it does take a lot of room in the bedroom so I can only really use it when the slides are open and everything is in its "were here" locations. If we are not fully setup, it's not going to fit...

I couldn't get the VA to play nice so I just made it a financial priority. An option maybe to get the EverFlo if you have the space and then use the tank during the day. That would be the least expensive start and then you could add a mobile machine later. The big warning I will offer is KNOW IF YOU NEED CONSTANT, PULSE or BOTH.

If you have questions, please ask. These are not inexpensive and the decision on which one is best depends a lot on your medical requirements, lifestyle and space available.

Cheers;

leo

I use the Inogen G3 not 24/7.

My unit is 1-4 liter pulse only .It comes with 2 batteries 4 hrs each only if using 1setting only. I use 3 pulse setting when I use it Batteries last about 2 1/2 hrs. on that setting. You can charge it 12 volt or 120 and use it at the some time if your driving or sitting.

Its a great unit portable light to carry. I made a backpack to fit it into so it's not sliding off my shoulders and it keep my hand free for fishing etc.