Bluebirds

Anyone Using "Car In Tow" Sign On Toad?

When we had Blue Ox fabricate a baseplate for prior toad, they included a nice window sign "car in tow.". We always made sure to put that sign in the rear window of our toad (which was not a tinted window). FYI - our sign is held in place by wedging it top & bottom on inside of rear window moldings.

But new toad (Jeep GC) first trip towing back from install Air Force One system on MH & toad, DW following in our second vehicle found the tinted windows on the Jeep make it impossible for a vehicle behind you to 'see' or 'be able to read' the"car in tow" sign until they are less than 1 car length behind the toad. We would like it visible at a greater distance for safety. ( Otherwise, just looks to another driver following rig on hwy that a Jeep is tail gating the MH ?)

So, questions we have:
1 ). Do you use a "car in tow" sign in you'd toads? Is it required by law?
2 ). Open to ideas how to make "car in tow" sign more visible when toad window is tinted?

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, we have a magnetic "Car in Tow" sign, that sticks easily on the trunk. But, it is getting long in the tooth. Would love to hear of someone currently selling them.

Yes, adheres to the metal (magnetic). I just wipe the area with a damp paper towel before putting it on and make sure the magnetic sign is also clean. No scratches in 4 years.

I've never had therefore never used a car in tow sign and I can't remember seeing one after driving 50,000+ the last 8 years. Never thought much about it and I assume its not a legal requirement.

I'm interested to hear others experience.

Jim,

No, I agree, it is NOT a legal requirement.

But, my reason for using it is that I suspect it will cut down on the idiots trying to merge BETWEEN the coach and toad.

Jim,

No, I agree, it is NOT a legal requirement.

But, my reason for using it is that I suspect it will cut down on the idiots trying to merge BETWEEN the coach and toad.

How does a sign on the trunk stop someone from trying to get between the RV and Towed? Someone merging from the side can't see the trunk of the car until it would be too late.

I have never used one but if I had one like Brett describes I just might! I assume he is talking about just a strip of material like you would see on a magnetic sign on the sides of cars and trucks everywhere.

Bill,

You might be surprised (but I doubt it) by the number of cars I see in the rear view camera accelerating like craze to get ahead of one more car, but know they will run out of entrance ramp before they pass the coach. Suspect that more than a few are stopped by the sign on the right rear of the car "CAR IN TOW".

Magnetic sign is 3" tall and 24" long. Weighs maybe 3 ounces. Just getting a little long in the tooth.

I use a magnetic adhered yellow revolving light right on top of the toad, plugged into 12 volt outlet, like a cigarette lighter plug at the rear of my coach. Have had several comments from Troopers, and truck drivers, that they liked the idea,

Try "Two Crazy Ladies Badges" They do badges, signs and I think they do the magnetic signs. The phone number I have for them is 575-525-0141. I'm not sure if they spell it (Too or Two) but you can find them online.

Have also considered if 'merge' traffic situation would benefit from 'car in tow' sign on each side (1 right & 1 left) door of toad? (as in, some highways could be right hand merge, some left hand merge. And people rushing to merge in our lane need to be aware MH and toad are connected, and not try to 'merge' between the two ; -)

We are located in IN, and will see if a local 'sign' company that makes magnetic signs for business use that stick to vehicle door for example, on pickup or car, might be a possible source. Tho, could be expensive as a 'one off' order, too?

We agree, a rally vendor could make it more widely used and less expensive, too. Brett, where did you buy yours (rally, or?).

Good discussion, thanks and any other tips welcome!

Bluebirds,

Too many years ago to have any record of it.

This morning I went by a local sign company and in heavy mil magnetic sign material, "Car In Tow" signs 3" X 24" would $8 each. I am having one made-- if it looks good, may start a cottage industry!

That will help pay the fuel from Texas to Oregon so I can do the 4 seminars I do at the FMCA Conventions!

"I am having one made-- if it looks good, may start a cottage industry!"

Just remember your less fortunate friends and those of us not smart enough to think of things like hula hoops.

Amazon also has them - $9.99

I made 3 for my use by using 72 pt font on excel spreadsheet, printed onto yellow paper, laminated....stuck onto adhesive magnetic sheets....can stick on car doors or by putting a piece of clear shipping tape on top folded over, they can be put in front windows hanging inside facing out by using window to grip the tape into the top window grove.... works for me so far...

Have to decide between "cute" and "effective".

My take is that I want someone not paying particularly good attention to NOT try to merge between coach and toad. Big print and short and to the point!

I agree, once into a CG, the "cute one" is..... well..... cuter.