Bluebirds

Anyone Using "Car In Tow" Sign On Toad?

Mind if I borrow that logo?

TamJim,

If you are talking about the links I posted, feel free to borrow. On page 1, I posted a link for "Car In Tow".

After reading all the comments about magnetic signs I have to relate my tale. In 1994 I purchased a "Car In Tow" magnetic sign to attach to my Saturn station wagon. One problem, tailgate was fiberglass. I have since moved three times since then and have no idea where the sign is. I have not seen very many of these signs in recent years.

All good replies.. One thing I added is additional turn signal lights down each side the motor home and activated the side turn signal on the Saturn. Now when making a right turn I very rarely get cut off. In fact, most of the time folks back off and let me turn right or go to the right lane, same with the left turn.

Motor homes do not have enough turn signals down the side. Look at commercial bus turn signals.

I used the 4" lights with chrome housing, from Love's travel stops.. Another site to check out is Prevost, they have lights down the side.

Good luck..

I am surprise that some think that it is important. I have never been fooled by a car in tow, thinking that it is some one tailgating. It is always obvious to me that a car is being towed.

My car tows 3' behind the motorhome. I can't imagine someone expecting to get a 15' car between the two. I also don't think a sign would have any effect on them. They will just tuck in behind me or try to pass the entire rig on the right. A sign won't change that because they are not looking for a sign.

Love both of the signs. How about laminating the sign and punch a hole in the top and use a small

suction cup hanger and put on inside your side windows and back ? just a thought since we use a Smart Car toad and body is plastic. Kathy

X2.....Towing and fulltiming since 2001....Never used a sign but I always ensured that my tow vehicle tail lights worked and reflected the same indication provided by my motor home.

I also never felt the need for a sign. When you see a 1/2 ton truck with a golf cart in the bed of the truck and it is so close the M/H that it look like it is attached, It Is. :D

Herman

We got car in tow signs from RoadMaster towing systems, they use suction cups to hold inside the window.
I also printed red stop sign shaped signs that we put in the side windows.

Our toad is a M.B. Smart car. It tows all wheels flat and you don't know you are towing it. It is a automatic you just add a battery switch and put the car to Sleep, it is all computerized.

But you have to go through the steps in the manual to put it to sleep and wake it up. Just remember to put your foot on the brake when waking it up, the manual doesn't tell you that, or it won't wake up and you panic. Can you tell been their done that?

I also have a sign saying " I'm pushing this big thing in front of me as fast as I can". We get a lot of laughs over that. We have a 32' ft. Rexhall Aerbus.

We just ordered a Car In Tow sign from "Magnets On The Cheap"   I used the Student Driver sign and changed it to "Car In Tow" and left the "Keep Back"  on.  A 12"x18" was $8.  

All those "cutesy" signs, came about in the 1980's because there was not many toads and at each FMCA and GS Convention, Vendors was making and selling them.  By the mid 90's there was less need for the sign, almost every coach out there was hauling a toad...now, I very seldom see one with anything mounted on toad. 

Carl  

I have never seen one with a sign. If someone's gonna hit the toad they will do it even if its wrapped in neon there is just too many people on the road not paying attention.

What always baffled me was the toad lighting, on a trailer you have front marker lights in amber and the rear in red so you can identify the outline of the trailer in the dark, on the toad you only have lights on the rear in red.

Off topic but I installed one of these on the third brake light last weekend to gain attention. I bought enough to do all the cars in the household.

http://www.kahtec.com/smart_stop.htm

Joe,  The coach next to me in the Park this weekend, had an interesting experience on the way here.  His toads, driver side was bashed in and so was the coach and tow bar, a "no speak English", saw the toad and decided that he could get a drag of coach, by cutting in front of the car that had the spot he wanted! :lol::wacko: Both the police officer and Bob were fluent in Spanish...the driver had no insurance! 

Carl

23 minutes ago, manholt said:

Joe,  The coach next to me in the Park this weekend, had an interesting experience on the way here.  His toads, driver side was bashed in and so was the coach and tow bar, a "no speak English", saw the toad and decided that he could get a drag of coach, by cutting in front of the car that had the spot he wanted! :lol::wacko: Both the police officer and Bob was fluent in Spanish...the driver had no insurance! 

Carl

:blink: WOW, so the sign wouldn't have mattered, it would have been in the rear window of the toad. What car could you possibly squeeze between a coach and toad? Some people...Hope they tossed him in jail.