Sign in to follow this  
oscarpower

North Dakota and Minnesota

Question

After spending a week at the Mt. Rushmore area, we are planning on going North to North Dakota's Roosevelt Nat'l Pk., from there codntinue East on I-94 stopping 2 nights at Bismark. We like to go around scenic drives in our tow car , no long hikes or big cities. No rush rush....

My questions:

-- what is a "not miss to look at" at the T.Roosevelt park? Should we stay a week like at the sister park in S.D.?

-- is it worth the time/gas to go North to the scenic route by Canada?

--any other "do not miss" ?

Continuing on I-94 up toFargo, ND.... there, we are considering 34E/200 route to Duluth, w/o stopping (4-1/2 hr) crossing MN , UNLESS there is something really nice to see.. Then cross Wisconsin to reach Michigan upper penninsula (stay one wk) before heading south on I-75.

Ideas will be most welcomed! Thank you!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

28' Coachmen/Concord with tow

7 answers to this question

There are two units of Roosevelt NP,south unit at Medora,north unit on highway 85 north of i94.When at Medora be sure and take in the Medora musical and pitchfork fondue.North unit is nice to see also,but 85 has a lot of oil field traffic on it.I would would think 3-4 days would be great plenty at Medora(south unit).

You could go up 85 to north unit then 85 to us 2 east to Minot then up us 83 and 5 to Bottineau to take in the international peace garden,then back to highway 5 to i29 then to grand forks then us 2 to Duluth.Many things to see in small town North Dakota,most not on a grand scale but very nice.

Other than oilfield in western ND you wont find a lot of traffic or rush rush. travel safe and have fun,

Dave

Once you get to Duluth, have you thought about driving north on hwy 61 along the shore of Lake Superior? Very nice drive and an outstanding city/Rv park in Grand Marais MN. You can cross the Canadian border into Thunder Bay, spend a day or two and visit Kakabeka Falls ( a short drive from Thunder Bay ) and then go around the top of Lake Superior and drop down through the UP of Michigan. This route would surely get my vote over your original proposal..... But that's just my opinion and it's overpriced at .02 cents!

Enjoy your trip and travel safely.

We found a visit to the headwaters of the Mississippi River a nice visit. Once you get to Fargo, it's not far. We stayed in Walker, MN, but Bimidji is a little closer. We spent the 4th of July in Walker. Really neat small town parade.

Mall of America is like about 150 shoe stores!!

If you go into Canada make sure NO GUNS, pets' health records up to date along with the proper documentation. Not sure about taking fruits into Canada. Also passports?