ultraglide

Tools Needed for Full-Timing

I swapped out to a residential, no added batteries or inverter change. Still 4, 6v batteries and a 2000 watt Xantrex MSW inverter. You just have to be wise on your selection and not shop for a refrigerator with all of the useless bling i.e. sound system and TV in the door. After all....Its a refrigerator, it just needs to maintain a proper temperature, not entertain your family and make your breakfast. 

19 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Or get a high-quality 12v compressor fridge. We've got the original issue 12v compressor Norcold in our coach, and after 44 years it still makes plenty of cold.

I'm not saying that residential units don't work. But, I'm still waiting for someone to help me understand the math that makes them more ideal than a well built and properly functioning 12v unit, especially when the extra batteries/inverter/etc. are factored in. To me it looks like trading one potential set of problems/expenses for another.

My little residential refrigerator holds more than the stock one makes ice better than the original, keeps the ice cream solid and has not been turned off since I put it in last year. No extra batteries and just plugged it into my inverter. I am having a hard time finding any down side.

Bill

Got to keep the Blue Bell & me happy!  Not a fan off soft Ice Cream. :wacko: 

I'm all electric, came that way & I have 8 - 6v batteries (AGM) and 2 - 2800w Magnum's, ASG 10Kw. 

46 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Or get a high-quality 12v compressor fridge. We've got the original issue 12v compressor Norcold in our coach, and after 44 years it still makes plenty of cold.

I'm not saying that residential units don't work. But, I'm still waiting for someone to help me understand the math that makes them more ideal than a well built and properly functioning 12v unit, especially when the extra batteries/inverter/etc. are factored in. To me it looks like trading one potential set of problems/expenses for another.

I did a post on this forum about 18 months ago about 12 volt refrigerators, don't know why but can't find it now. Not many manufacturers are producing the 12 volt compressors these days, therefore they are much more expensive than a residual fridge these days. I have also pointed out that when shopping for a residential fridge to always look at the max amperage consumption posted for that fridge, so that one might compare and shop for the lowest number that can be found. Now with the advent of inverter technology in refrigeration, this is the absolute best bang for the buck because of their energy efficiency. With todays technology in inverters, the overhead is so minimal that it almost doesn't need to be added into the equation for converting 12 volt dc to 120 volt ac. I agree that the 12 volt unit would be nice but with the other downfalls, it isn't worth the trouble to try to look for one. I sure hope that your 12 volt last another 44 years, but in the event that it doesn't, you may well want to look at some other alternatives also. I run a 18 cf Samsung three door in my coach, and will not trade for neither the camper style gas/electric or a 12 volt unit.

We are stationary for 30 days up here in SW Alabama.  You can only visit New Orleans and Mobile so much, so I have numerous days to fill in.  After only 4.5 months of full timing it is time to weed some things out and lighten the load.  I started going through tools and equipment today.  Anything I haven't used in a few months, or I have more than one of, is gone.  So far in just a couple of hours I was able to empty an entire trailer cabinet of extra "junk"

My point is I want to be prepared and have most of the tools and supplies I will probably need.  However, I am determined not to haul around 200 or 300 pounds of extra stuff that I may not use for years and years.

That will probably be what I end up doing every fall also.  I have a buddy that is looking at the Tandem tow dollies for hauling his car and trike around behind his MH.  We have considered this as a possibility for the future if we end up wanting to shorten our present combination.  However, looking inside my enclosed trailer I'm not sure where all my "stuff" would go.

20 minutes ago, ISPJS said:

However, looking inside my enclosed trailer I'm not sure where all my "stuff" would go.

You can do it, i ditched mine in 2014 it went with the last coach, they matched stripes and decals anyway.