ultraglide

Tools Needed for Full-Timing

Gorilla Tape :D...currently holding my "rear" together in sun and rain :wub:...I threw away Duck Tape a long time ago, since it slips in rain and is a lot more messy to take off !:angry:

I have found that if you need special tools, you can borrow, with a refundable deposit or rent what you need from the place where you buy the parts! :)

Carl

Good info.  How do you remove it?  If I had used that to tie my back end together, instead of Gorilla Tape, which comes off with mineral spirit, no residual gum!

Carl

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Gorilla Tape :D...currently holding my "rear" together in sun and rain :wub:...I threw away Duck Tape a long time ago, since it slips in rain and is a lot more messy to take off !:angry:

I have found that if you need special tools, you can borrow, with a refundable deposit or rent what you need from the place where you buy the parts! :)

Carl

I'm sorry but the vision I got is terrible. You don't wear that on Galveston Beach, do you? 

================

My best tool is a cell phone. "Hello, is this diesel repair?"

24 minutes ago, Wayne77590 said:

I'm sorry but the vision I got is terrible. You don't wear that on Galveston Beach, do you? 

================

My best tool is a cell phone. "Hello, is this diesel repair?"

I have seen it!!!! Some things you just can't un see.:P:blink::(

Bill

Most people that keep spare bulbs wonder why the bulbs some times do not last long

If you keep spare bulbs store so they can not bounce IE  tape down or wrap so the vibration will not shorten there life  

Wayne.  Not my rear :(, the coaches rear! :angry::o.  I have an appointment with TCC in Pipe Creek the 3ed. When they get it fixed, it should once again be a perfect rear end again...:wub::lol:

Carl

Rescue tape is great stuff "as long as" you are doing a repair where the tape can be wrapped around itself such as repairing a leaking hose.  If you have to hold something in place by running some tape from one side to another (flush) then rescue tape will not work.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Now I know you are speaking of the coach.B)

Herman 

I didn't comment, I really wasn't sure what he was talking about, now Carl clarified I feel much better, the other visual wasn't good :lol:

23 hours ago, bm02tj said:

Most people that keep spare bulbs wonder why the bulbs some times do not last long

If you keep spare bulbs store so they can not bounce IE  tape down or wrap so the vibration will not shorten there life  

20 hours ago, manholt said:

Wayne.  Not my rear :(, the coaches rear! :angry::o.  I have an appointment with TCC in Pipe Creek the 3ed. When they get it fixed, it should once again be a perfect rear end again...:wub::lol:

Carl

Carl, all rear ends are perfect. No further comment necessary.:lol:

15 hours ago, manholt said:

Well, now that we are all on the same page, I'm happy that it all worked out in the end...:D

...in the end! It will never be the end.

============================

Back on topic, I do carry tools. I have a pretty good wrench set, a big crescent wrench an huge pair of pluming pliers and a Dremel kit. An assortment of screw drivers of every size, including real small ones for eye glasses. Some I don't even remember that I carry 'cause I haven't used them in 10 years.

Wayne.  Are you saying that your, a Motor Home hoarder? :lol:  You can easily, over load on things you don't need.  Food, clothing, tools, spare parts, etc.  If I have not used something for over a year.  It's out.. :P  5 years ago and another coach, I used a flat bathroom scale and a metal box, that I weight first, then I unloaded everything in the coach, item by item,,,after 2 days, I was totally amassed by the weight I was carrying around...Especially in the kitchen!!! :wacko::(:blink:

I'm not even a full timer and now I'm real careful about the "Stuff" I have!

Carl 

I found another tool to carry in the coach since we have Pex water lines.  Pex/Sharkbite clamp tool and a small package of 1/2" pex clamps.  A clamp removal tool would be handy but I used side cutters and pliers.

Blake

22 minutes ago, blakeloke said:

I found another tool to carry in the coach since we have Pex water lines.  Pex/Sharkbite clamp tool and a small package of 1/2" pex clamps.  A clamp removal tool would be handy but I used side cutters and pliers.

Blake

Yes this coach introduced me to pex. I  have about 3ft of 1/2 pex and an assortment of fittings. Most are "shark bite" so I don't need to crimp them.

Bill

6 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yes this coach introduced me to pex. I  have about 3ft of 1/2 pex and an assortment of fittings. Most are "shark bite" so I don't need to crimp them.

Bill

Wow, great minds think alike. I also carry a small assortment along with faucet supply line o-rings. 

Gee!  I got everything but the tool's they got them at, Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace and True Value, most times they'll let you borrow for a deposit, bring back, get deposit back! :D

Carl

I am sure the time is coming when I will be spending a lot more time in the RV than I currently do.  I am sure that many of you have heard about or experienced the dreaded Norcold refrig red lite. I have had this problem on 4 different occasions and non of them was a good experience.  When the red lite went on, the refrig would not work, and trying to get it up and running was next to impossible.  Calling Norcold resulted with you have to call an authorized dealer.  Well that didn't work in a timely fashion.  Lots of spoiled food.  Questions like did you buy the RV from us, or waiting from 3-4 weeks for an appointment and even as long as 5 months.  No wonder owners get upset.

The same could happen with your heating and hot water unit.  I have a 2008 Haulmark motor coach with a Precision Temp Jr. 2.  Precision Temp had it's fare share of design and manufacturing problems, but I really feel they have their act together.  My unit was replaced under warranty in less than one year.  I had the unit upgrade  5 years ago.  When ever I had a problem I just called customer service and they would trouble shoot the problem over the phone.  Sometimes it was a real simple fix, other times it required a part that I had the next  day.  Their units are a little expensive, but very quiet heat and endless hot water.  Sometimes an extended shower cures a lot of ills. Their units take up very little room and are quit efficient.

So if you are at all mechanically inclined you can fix your own heat and hot water unit where ever you are, and with out having to wait for a repair man to charge an arm and a leg Their customer service is the best I have run across.

Now, all you got to do, is throw out the NOCOLD and get a Residential Fridge along with some extra batteries! :)

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Now, all you got to do, is throw out the NOCOLD and get a Residential Fridge along with some extra batteries! :)

Or get a high-quality 12v compressor fridge. We've got the original issue 12v compressor Norcold in our coach, and after 44 years it still makes plenty of cold.

I'm not saying that residential units don't work. But, I'm still waiting for someone to help me understand the math that makes them more ideal than a well built and properly functioning 12v unit, especially when the extra batteries/inverter/etc. are factored in. To me it looks like trading one potential set of problems/expenses for another.

Richard.

Big difference between what Norcold or Dometic put out in the 70's & 80's..compard with the last 25/30 years!  The 1200 has been nothing but trouble since it came out...lot's of fires. The last one I had was in a 1997 Allegro, it worked and there are others out there that work.  This Forum and others have OP's with nothing but trouble!

2 hours ago, manholt said:

The 1200 has been nothing but trouble since it came out...lot's of fires

That's why I mentioned the 12v compressor units specifically. I'd personally never install an absorption refrigerator in anything I owned. As far as I know, the refrigerators that use a 12v compressor are more reliable in general than the absorption machines and don't share the same propensity to self immolate (but that's based on what I've read, not on science or thorough research.)

Whether it be a Norcold 12v compressor or one of the more expensive units designed for a yacht, I still don't see how the math of using a residential refrigerator works. There's a power loss when using the inverter, and there is the added expense/upkeep of the batteries & inverter. I know that many enjoy the size and convenience of the residential fridge, but for me the ability to go for days on battery is more important.