shelia.williams

Campground Recommendations: Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

We will be travelling to PEI and Nova Scotia in late June/early July and plan to see all the major sites in each area.

What I am trying to determine is whether it would be best to find one central campground and then use our toad to tour or move to a different campground after seeing an area.

If someone has experience with either of these locations, I would appreciate any advice you might have based on your past experience. We have a 40 foot Tiffin Phaeton and pull a toad.

Also, do we need advance reservations in either area or are we OK to do what we normally do and call a day or two ahead as we are traveling and know our timing?

We will be in PEI starting July 7, we are staying in Northumberland Park on the south side of the island, (Wood Island) we will be there 4 days and using our car to see the island.

I have never been there before and just picked a place that was recommended for a big rig, on the ocean.

We are going on to NS by crossing on the ferry close to the park.

We toured the Maritimes last year. On PEI we stayed at 3 campgrounds; one on the eastern side (I forget which one it was); one in the center of the island (Harrington RV Park and Campground, a Passport America park, a few miles north of Charlottetown); and one on the west coast, Crystal Beach Campground at New Annan, also a Passport America campground, close to Summerside). There is a visitor's center close to where you get off the ferry and you can get information on the campgrounds (we took the ferry over, and came back acvross the bridge).

We were there at the tail end of our travels, after Labor Day, and we could stay as long as we wanted at Passport America rates.

On Nova Scotia we stayed at the Cabot Trail Campground at Beddeck, and at the Shubie Park Campground in Dartmouth, across the river from Halifax. As I recall, all of the campgrounds in PEI and NS were full hookup.

Hint: If you take the first morning ferry across, check with the ferry terminal, where you make ferry reservations, and ask when the last ferry leaves the night before. When it is loaded you can get in, get in line, and spend the night in line.

Hope this helps. We had a 40 foot Dutch Star.

Steve Turney