Sign in to follow this  
RDavidPhillips

Michelin XRV 305/70R 22.5 to XZA2 295/80R 22.5

We have a 2008 Newmar Dutchstar #4304 - tag. Currently has Michelin XRV305/70R 22.5 tires.

Looking to buy 8 new Michelins. Been told MIchelin is not producing the XRV 305/70R tires. Tire shop suggested using Michelin XZA2 295/80R 22.5.

Has anyone made the switch from 305/70R to 295/80R that has the same 2008 DSDP #4304?

Thanks in advance, David

I could be wrong but I think 295/80R 22.5 is a bit smaller diameter than 305/70R 22.5. I think better to go for 315/80R 22.5

I note the three tires mentioned

XRV 305/70R22.5 LR-L 7830# @ 120 psi 39.1 OD 12.3 wide

126.8#

XZA2 Energy 295/80R22.5 LR-H 7830# @ 120 psi 41.2 OD 11.8 wide

109.4#

XZA2 Energy 315/80R22.5 LR-L 9090# @ 130 psi 42.3 OD 12.5 wide

138.4# weight 7920# @ 115

The above loads are the single (front) load & inflation ratings

You didn't mentioned the actual loads on each corner of your Dutchstar or your GAWR. Also your rims might be pressure or load limited so you need to confirm those numbers too before you make a switch.

I don't know supply or cost figures where you live but normally weight is a good relative measure of tire cost. It might also give an indication of the impact on fuel economy with heavier tire being worse.

Don't worry about switching to XZA2 295/80R 22.5 Michelin tires are on back order and Michelin won't refill orders for shipment for as long as two months. They will not even give Dealers potential ship dates. The FMCA Advantage program certainly isn't much of a program if theres no Product. No choice but to move on to Goodyear G670.

I was down at a dealer Monday, 4/28, checking on tires. He said they have absolutely no idea when the 295's will be available. He has been trying for a month or more to find me Michelins and with 20 retail outlets he works for, they are just not available. He said Michelin will not even give their stores an approx. date. He then tried Bridgestone with the 250 series, and they aren't available. Looks like G670.

Jim F

F279425

02 Windsor

I got rid of the Goodyear 670s in 2012 and put on a full set of Toyo M154 and have no regrets. A trip to Alaska and back (a little over 10,000 miles) and they still look great and ride great.

We have a 2011 Newmar Dutch Star 43'. While on a trip, the man next to me noticed a bubble on my front drivers side tire. I called Good Sam to help me. They sent someone out and he put on a new tire for me. He said my tires were made in 08 and I should get new tires. I bought this coach new and I am NOT a happy camper. My tire size is 305 70R 22.5 Michelin XRV. I want to put all new ones on now and can not find any in my size. A dealer said I could buy Toyo for the rest of the tires and it would be o.k. Can you have one Michelin and 7 Toyo tires? Everyone tries to take advantage of older people, I have found out.

Gran66,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You can have different tires on front vs rear, but all tires on an axle should have the same tires.

As of today, May 27, 2014, I still can't get the 307/70 R 22.5. I really need tires for our summer vacation in late June. Does anyone have any ideas???? HELP!!!

Jeff Arthur, Houston Texas

I'm new and just bought a 34ft. Damon Daybreak with 11 year old Goodyear 345/70R 19.5 G670 RV tires. Are Michelins preferable to Goodyear tires? I think my insurance company can get me a discount on Michelins. Would a slightly wider tire on the front axle give better steering control or should I leave all of them the same? What is the FMCA Michelin Tire Advantage program? Does it provide a discount? Thanks to all the folks providing advice on this blog.

F.N. DeWester

I just had a XZA2 put on my LF on June 5 via Cummins, Houston, TX.

Call them and find out witch Michelin Dealer they use, it was close by, it took 90 minutes.

I should have got 2. My ride has been great for the past 1,058 miles!

They are not cheap....