AnnAndrews

Gas Cook Top Lights Intermittently

Our 3 burner cook top only lights intermittently. It is a one week old RV. The gas lights when we are parked at our campsite and plugged into electric. But the gas does not light when we stop for lunch and want to cook a lunch. We have a spark ignition. When it doesn't work, neither a match or the handheld igniter work.

Ann & Sterling Andrews

Ginger - 2 y/o black lab

2015 Forest River Sunseeker 3050s

Ann,

Do any of the other propane appliances work when the stove does not (like water heater)? Can you hear/smell gas when you turn on the burner? Hear "clicking" of the igniter?

What brand and model is it?

Did the old stove work?

Thank you for replying. No we don't smell gas. Everything else that runs on propane is working.

The Motorhome and cooktop are brand new (one week old). We have been on the road for seven days and it stopped igniting (intermittently) two days ago.
The model is Suburban SCN3BE with Piezo ignition. This explanation of Piezo ignition is provided by Wikipedia:

Piezo ignition is a type of ignition that is used in portable camping stoves, gas grillsand some lighters, and potato guns. It consists of a small, spring-loaded hammer which, when a button is pressed, hits a crystal of PZT or quartz crystal. Quartz ispiezoelectric, which means that it creates a voltage when deformed. This sudden forceful deformation produces a high voltage and subsequent electrical discharge, which ignites the gas.

No external electric connection is required, though wires are sometimes used to locate the sparking location away from the crystal itself. Piezo ignition systems can be operated by either a lever, push-button or built into the control knob. Only one electric spark is generated per turn of the knob or press of the button.

I wonder if the igniter is damp from all the rain we have had? But if that were true, the gas should have lit from a match. It did not.
Ann Andrews

No, there is no oven. Thank you for the link. I looked at it and left a message. There is a local service center which I will contact also. This morning the burner ignites.

Is the cooktop on a slide out. Maybe the hose or line pinches when the slide moves? Just a thought.

Yes, the cooktop is on the slideout wall. That is a good thought and we (meaning my husband) will look at the possibility. We are home now and the cooktop is lighting, as it should.

My brother had this problem in his Travel Supreme. Turned out to be the control knobs were pushed down toooo far on the stems causing the gas to stop as soon as he let go of the knob. Might want to check this issue to see if it is similar.