tcolburn

Which Surge Protector to Use--30 A or 50 A?

Our first motorhome ('99 Southwind) was wired for 30 amps, so we purchased and used a Progressive Industries 30A EMS plug-in unit.

Now we own a 50-amp coach ('04 Revolution) and we purchased a Progressive 50A plug-in unit. We still have the 30A EMS from the Southwind. We also have a 30-amp male/50-amp female cable adapter.

My question: if we are at a location where only 30-amp service is available, which way should we connect?

A. 30-amp CG connection--> 30-amp EMS unit--> 30-to-50 adapter--> cable to coach -OR-

B. 30-amp CG connection--> 30-to-50 adapter--> 50-amp EMS unit--> cable to coach

Thanks! --Tim C.

I would do "A" but it really does not matter which way you do it

Curious as to why? Does having the 30A protector in addition to the 50A protector installed at the coach provide anything additional?

I would think B would be the simplest way to go.

Use the 50 amp and sell or give away the 30 amp. Keep the 30amp to 50 amp adapter for when you only have 30 amp available.

Call Progressive Industries customer for verification - 919-462-8280

Use the 50 amp and sell or give away the 30 amp. Keep the 30amp to 50 amp adapter for when you only have 30 amp available.

Call Progressive Industries customer for verification - 919-462-8280

Best answer E-tim, I think, second surge protector will add nothing to the equation. One set of MOV's is all that is required.

Kay