Sign in to follow this  
adameve7553

Side Retractable Step Will Not Retract

adameve7553

Welcome to the Forum.

I just had the same problem with my step. It turned out that the motor was locked. loosened several bolts and it became unstuck.

My unit is a Kiwkee and I did order a new Motor and gear box. It came with every thing to rebuild the step completely. I have put it in the Chest I keep spare parts in in the bay. I will replace it should the step get locked up again. To help unlock the step you might try pulling the cotter pin and pin on the arm. This might release the bind and let the step work again.

Good Luck,

Herman

You most likely lost a fuse. If you will give more info on your motorhome, (mfg, year, model), we may be able to tell you where the fuse is located. You can also go to Powergear USA website for trouble shooting info.

A word of caution: if you start taken the step operating mechanism apart, make sure power is off to the step. If it is in a bind it may start to move at a time when your hands/fingers are in the wrong place.

My bad....I see the OP was May 2 and he never signed back in. Oh well, maybe it will help someone else.

I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV (40 ft.) with an entry step that will not retract this morning. This is the first time this has happened. The owner’s manual says to check the 30 amp breaker (did, it’s on) and then check the 7 amp fuse panel on the outside near the front (driver’s side). This panel says the 7 amp fuse is in the passenger side arm rest. I looked but can’t find this fuse so can someone help me get the step to retract so I can get on the road again?

When something 12v quits working, I always check the fuse first. I do that for two reasons...it's the easiest to check, and most of the time it's the problem.

MissLucy,

There is also a fuse for the steps in the ignition circuit. In the forward Electrical bay. 5 amp. lower right corner, third from the bottom. 5 amp fuse in most cases. This fuse / circuit retracts the steps anytime the engine is running and the door is closed.

There are 2 small fuses in the control circuit for the steps. One in the passenger seat armrest (Not in your case from your post).

Should the ignition step fuse be blown, check to make sure the step mechanical assembly and pivot points are free moving and not bound up. With the steps being extended, one can wiggle them to see if there is some movement / Play in the system.

One should oil them from time to time. Dirt and rust can build up on the pivot pins and with a 2 step system there are 5 pivot points or ten pins.

Rich.