PLEASE, when you overnight at a Flying J or any other parking area; 1 only use one parking area! If you feel you need to put your slides out, don't block an adjacent parking slot. 2: Turn your generator off after 10:00, ESPECIALLY DIESELS!

If you have a Motor Coach that you feel you can take up that much space and run your generator all night, you can afford to stay in a camp resort or campground!

The sound and smell of your rig makes for a bad night for us who need to stop for a few hours of rest.

Flying J will not bother you, but you may run into someone who will make your stop not so enjoyable.

Had 3 Motor coaches with FMCA tags at a Flying J in Brunswick GA with slides out, generators running taking up multiple parking slots.

Please, think of others when you pull in for the night.

Would you want someone with a noisy stinking gas generator parked next to you?

As a member of FMCA you should be an example of what good motorhome/coach travel should be.

Thank you for letting me vent.

We all need to be considerate to our fellow travelers, whether we are in mega-motor coaches, class A's, C's or pop-ups.

Unfortunately, that kind of overnight parking is exactly where you would expect to find RVers running their generators at any time without any restrictions or anyone telling them that they should. Same with Wal-Mart parking. There should be no thought, from anyone around, that a generator should be shut down at any particular time and if your RV does not fit in one space with slides open it's going to take more than one space. I don't know of any parking lot overnighting (not camping) that includes the rules you proclaim but I am sorry to hear that you were upset by the normal use of these facilities.

We noticed, as first year snowbirds, that the courtesy of allowing overnight parking was taken advantage of by many who were not so courteous to others. Areas were taken over, at a couple of spots, by groups who took up many spaces, and even set up party areas outside for gatherings.

We stopped at one Walmart due to weather conditions one night and found that there was little room left for latecomers to the lot due to these practices.We were thankful to have a spot to be able to layover in bad weather, but we are afraid that discourtesy will cause this privilege to stop, as we noticed had happened in some Walmart lots in the south.

I completely agree that anything that appears to be a gathering or camping is going to frowned upon and could easily cause problems for those wanting to use the overnighting option. However, running my generator at night so I can use my A/C on a hot night is not discourteous to anyone as I locate myself away from others and out of traffic flow. If others arrive and choose to park close, C'est la vie.

I had stayed at flying J not taking up two spots or running generator but for rest that next to impossible. Why, the constant flow of big rigs 24/7 coming in and out to fuel and stop for a few hours. That is where most of the noise and smell comes from. Yes I rather stay at a campground and have quiet night sleep if I can find a place at close by area but sometimes flying J is where I end up. I didn't reply to complain but please don't blame us if you pick a 24/7 truck stop for your layover.

The only time we spent the night at a Flying J was in Gillette, WY. We did run our generator and I don't believe it made any difference with all the trucks with the engines running to keep the truckers cool while they rested. If I had wanted peace and quiet, I would not have chosen to stop at a truck stop. And we rested just fine.

Let's see OP hasn't filled out profile no information on his rig. Complaining about smelling diesel fumes at a diesel truck stop.

"1 only use one parking area! If you feel you need to put your slides out, don't block an adjacent parking slot." I can park and run my bedroom slide out and still walk between it and the next truck but thank you for your concern.

"2: Turn your generator off after 10:00, ESPECIALLY DIESELS!" See the second sentence. I want to be there when you go tell the trucker he needs to shut his diesel reefer off. Well since you haven't filled out your profile I don't know where you are. Most states now have laws prohibiting the idling of big trucks past a certain time period.

"The sound and smell of your rig makes for a bad night for us who need to stop for a few hours of rest.

Flying J will not bother you, but you may run into someone who will make your stop not so enjoyable." Please feel free to come by and register your complaint, please.

"Had 3 Motor coaches with FMCA tags at a Flying J in Brunswick GA with slides out, generators running taking up multiple parking slots.

Please, think of others when you pull in for the night." Yes what's your point? You can't get "your" parking spot. Perhaps you should stop earlier to get a better spot.

"Would you want someone with a noisy stinking gas generator parked next to you?" Wouldn't bother me I couldn't hear him over my loud stinky diesel generator.

Bill

Flying J will not bother you, but you may run into someone who will make your stop not so enjoyable.

Yep, I loved that part as well. Sounds like a man with a death wish....."Excuse me sir, you may not be aware that I have a rule that your generator should be shut down at 10PM at the very latest. If you do not follow my commands I will be forced to take actions that may make your stopover here less than enjoyable!"

In all the flying Js I've stayed at, the RV parking is far enough away from the semis idling their generators, that you could notice someone running their RV generator. Although there are no rules in these parking lots, there should be some common courtesy to observe some quiet hours. If you need to run your generator to run your AC, maybe you need to find a place with hookups instead, but also, if the poster is looking for peace and quiet, they should look for a campground too.

OP signed up May 2, made two posts and has not signed in again. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common for this forum. I wonder why? Any ideas?

If you went down the road to the next red light and take a left there is a new RV resort, Georgia Coastal RV Resort. Stayed there on my way up North this past March. Very new, clean, full concrete pull thru's. They have a separate spigot for you to wash your coach. Quiet-- all for about $35.

OP signed up May 2, made two posts and has not signed in again. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common for this forum. I wonder why? Any ideas?

New National Sport = Whining? :D

I hate myself when I can't resist! :rolleyes:

In all the flying Js I've stayed at, the RV parking is far enough away from the semis idling their generators, that you could notice someone running their RV generator. Although there are no rules in these parking lots, there should be some common courtesy to observe some quiet hours. If you need to run your generator to run your AC, maybe you need to find a place with hookups instead, but also, if the poster is looking for peace and quiet, they should look for a campground too.

I think it's funny you stop at a truck stop. You know what the conditions are then you wine.

Bill

I stopped at a Flying J just short of Columbus, Ohio 2 night ago, and the area we parked was right along a curb near the assigned RV parking area. I could hardly hear any noise from outside, I did not smell any of the "bad smelling diesels" and we had quite a restful sleep. We had an emergency and I did not have time to preplan the way I generally do so this was a great place to overnight. Yes I did observe common courtesy and shut the generator off when we went to bed (before 10 PM, we were tired), but I did run all 4 of my slides out and caused NO problems for anyone else staying there.

It is a truck stop, so if you do hear noise from other trucks or RVs coming in or out, get over it after all it is a TRUCK STOP!

Fortunately or unfortunately we have been rving for over 40 years and have used truck stops, rest areas and walmarts as an expediant when we are traveling for a place to stop, cook and sleep. My advice is if you want luxury don't stop, plan your route to go to a campground and pay your money. The flying j camper slots are really a luxury compared to most. Maybe some of us are getting too spoiled now that we travel with 4 big screen tvs and a satellite dish, it wasn't all that bad when we had 1 black and white 12v portable with rabbit ears and no generator.

Saw this definition of an RVer on another forum: "A guy with a $500,000 MH looking for a free place to camp."

Saw this definition of an RVer on another forum: "A guy with a $500,000 MH looking for a free place to camp."

You gotta save money somewhere to pay them high payments. :lol:

OP,

You stop at a Truck Stop, and are shocked, I say shocked, that you can hear and smell diesel engines! LOL

You must be surprised when you walk into a restaurant, and they have, ready for it.......food! LOL

He should have not stopped at all, must not been as tired as I was I went to bed didn't hear a thing until morning. You guys are right most of the trucks sitting there running there engines staying warm or cold it is a truck stop..I hve never had anyone complain about the slides or gen running..Go figure..

I have to agree with these people. Truck Stops are for trucks and we should be very thankful that they even let us park in them. So lets be considerate before they decide to NOT LET US stay! You know it always takes one to spoil it for the rest of us!!!!

It's been a few years since I RVed enough to stop at Flying Js. Didn't have slides then but I ran my gasoline generator all night when the weather was warm. I now have a diesel with slides, don't necessarily need to open slides for one night but will defiantly run the generator all night when it's warm. BTW, diesels that use Blue Def don't smell.

DL,

We ran across a new spot to over night, Cabela's. Where they can they have a area behind the store for Rv's and trucks. They even have someone that will come out and check to see if everything is Ok. No problems with generators.

Herman 

On 2/14/2015 at 9:34 AM, gandb said:

I have to agree with these people. Truck Stops are for trucks and we should be very thankful that they even let us park in them. So lets be considerate before they decide to NOT LET US stay! You know it always takes one to spoil it for the rest of us!!!!

Well I have about $500.00 on my Pilot card and I say that makes me qualified to park there if I want to. Interesting thing, This has been the trip with four first time events. First time to have a mechanical problem, first time to use Coach Net, First time to drive after dark, First time to spend the night in a Pilot. Trust me it would not have been in anyone's best interest to have disturbed me whining about their self imposed rules. I ran the generator and had the bedroom slide out.

Bill