12 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Parking overnight somewhere like Wal-Mart, Cabella, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain or a Rest Area is overnight parking.  IT IS NOT CAMPING!

Why is this discussion even a discussion?  If it's cool outside, I don't need and will not use, my generator.  If it's hot outside, I do need and absolutely will use, my generator.  There are others that require generator usage at all times when not connected to shore power.  That's completely OK, too when you are PARKING for the night.  I have no idea why Wal-Mart threads go on and on and on until some sensible moderator closes the thread and I have no idea why any discussion about overnight PARKING includes some perceived list of right or wrong when it comes to generators.

Slides?  Don't put them out when they are in the way.

Camping in a parking lot?  Don't do it!

Park (not camp) next to someone and expect them to follow YOUR rules?  Don't do that either.

Mind your own ding dong business?  You bet ya!

Oh Bill, you were doing so good.

Like so many things "Camping" means different things to different people. If we get right down to it Driving a Motor home or pulling a popup,Trailer or fifth wheel isn't camping either. But it is to many folks. So lets be kind to each other, voice your opinion but please don't condemn someone for their's.

Parking, Camping or what ever you may call it, all have guideline to follow. But most of all the best rule to follow is common courtesy, to the place you are in and to the people around you. 

Please bring back the good Bill.

Herman

9 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Well I have about $500.00 on my Pilot card and I say that makes me qualified to park there if I want to. Interesting thing, This has been the trip with four first time events. First time to have a mechanical problem, first time to use Coach Net, First time to drive after dark, First time to spend the night in a Pilot. Trust me it would not have been in anyone's best interest to have disturbed me whining about their self imposed rules. I ran the generator and had the bedroom slide out.

Bill

Sorry to hear about the mechanical problems but welcome to the truck stopper club.  It's not my normal over night but, as you have discovered, it's a great option when necessary.

9 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Oh Bill, you were doing so good.

Like so many things "Camping" means different things to different people. If we get right down to it Driving a Motor home or pulling a popup,Trailer or fifth wheel isn't camping either. But it is to many folks. So lets be kind to each other, voice your opinion but please don't condemn someone for their's.

Parking, Camping or what ever you may call it, all have guideline to follow. But most of all the best rule to follow is common courtesy, to the place you are in and to the people around you. 

Please bring back the good Bill.

Herman

Deleted, made moderator Herman mad.

Not offend, maybe once every 2 years, I find myself in the situation that I don't have a campground to stay in!  If the only spot available is a Truck Stop, then I park as far away from the trucks as possible, I run the generator no matter the outside temperature...the trucks make enough noise and they don't care about me, unless I'm taking up their space.  I don't care if it's Flying J, Love's or a Shell station.  TS is TS to me! :rolleyes:

I would prefer a rest area for 4 hours and move to another for 4 more....but if you don't come early, you can't find a place that does not have wall to wall trucks! :(

We will on occasion stop at a truck stop, my new thing is Cracker Barrel (most have RV parking out back). Wake up and head in for Biscuits, Gravy and Grits :wub: and lots of coffee to counter act all of the carbs so I don't fall asleep while driving away :lol:.

I also have the pilot Flying J card, if I fill up there and there's decent space around (pull through) and I am tired, I'm in it! My generator will run even if not needed, A/C units with the fans on low to drown out the noise outside, hit the shower and I'm out for the night. Never had a problem, I always park away from others not running a generator, if they park near me....don't complain, and lets be honest, my generator that you can have a conversation while standing next to is nothing compared to what else is running in the lot, as you begin to sleep its white noise anyway. I will leave my slides in, just for safety so no one comes around a corner and there they are unexpectedly and they now have a spot. Many times I have woke up in the morning to several other coaches along side of me, never heard them pull in.

I always, always, always shop where we park, there is something we need on every trip or something that we could use to be restocked and that is my way of saying thank you, plus an actual thank you when I ask the night before.

When we were coach shopping, one MUST with us was the coach had to be fully functional with the slides in.