Sign in to follow this  
delsandi

Grey Water Smell In Kitchen/Bathroom

We have a Winnebago 2008 Adventurer and we are having a problem with grey water smell in the kitchen and bathroom. We have replaced the self venting caps under both sinks, checked the vent on the roof for blockage...checked as many fittings as I can find and there are no leaks.

I am not wanting to mask the smell...I want to find out why this is happening.

We have had many RV's and never had this problem.

Suggestions?

Had that problem with one of my motorhomes and the only solution was to keep water in the sink and tub traps. When travelling the water would flow out of one or more of the traps, but running water down the offending drain would take care of it. Hope this experience helps.

Quick way to test drains when on the move: put the plugs in the drains, run about an inch of water in each sink and then ascertain if you still have the odor. If so then the odor is coming from some other source. Is it possible the smell is actually propane?

We are currently in the shop for the same issue. Our grey water smell was coming from under the rig and being pulled into the RV through various openings. Turns out that a cap was never installed for the washer/dryer drain (we did not get the washer/dryer option) and the p-trap for the washer/dryer emptied of water. Since the drain was enclosed from the interior by a wall, the smell found its way outside through some openings in the bottom of the compartment and spread its sent all around our rig. We are getting our rig back today. Hopefully, this resolves the problem. Good luck with your problem.

I have also noticed that after dumping the tanks I have to run water in all the sinks because the water in the traps is sucked out when they are drained.

Partsrod,

It sounds like you have a tank vent plugged. The vent should prevent the P traps from being emptied. Might be the OPs problem also.

Lenp

Wow! So many different items that can go wrong.

I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W.

All the above. Also, if you have a separate galley tank like I do, the bathroom sink and kitchen sink drain into that one tank. Kind of dumb, but that is the way mine is. Galley tank will fill quickly. Also, the drain hose for the kitchen sink runs to the bedroom and then to the galley tank under the King bed. The hose is held in place by a clamp and it is possible that this has come loose and the hose is loose. If so you may see water dripping under the coach. They anchored my hose to the bed slide pedestal. Not a wise thing as my pedastal came loose and tore the hose from the tank. I have since done the modification to the pedestal and move the anchor to the floor.

Just a thought.