montie

Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia

Question

I would like to know if the road Hwy 1 from Bar Harbor is good enough for a large MH. We are planning on leaving in June and heading that way, will be there sometime in July. I have looked on the Google Street View, found the road to be OK but narrow. Will be pulling a car. I would like to go through the wildness but want to be safe and will more than likely go back out the interstate and hit the Trans Canada, or Rt. 2 I think but I would like to go through St. John if it is OK and safe. Looks like a sparsely inhibited area with not much services.

3 answers to this question

You didn't indicate how you're getting to Ellsworth. At any rate Route 1 is typical Maine two lane highway suitable for eighteen wheelers and large motorhomes. Heading for Calais it's the scenic way to go, small towns etc. Cross into Canada at Lubec for a visit to FDR's summer home at Campobello. Come back out and proceed up to Calais.

A quicker way to reach Calais would be on Route 9 known locally as "The Airline". It was recently upgraded with the hilly grades providing passing lanes. Lots of wilderness with only an occasional home or business. If you're coming up I 95 to Bangor you take l 395 down to East Holden then head North on Maine Route 46 to East Eddington which meets Route 9. If you choose this way be sure to have plenty of fuel as stations are few and far between.

Usually we go via Route 1 for the scenery and small towns and come back via Route 9.

I will be starting in Bar Harbor, going to Halifax and I assumed we would just come back to the intersection of Hwy 3 and Hwy 1. Stay on !A until we hit 9 just outside of Calais and then continue to Nova Scotia joining Hwy 2 at in New Brunswick and then on Hwy 2. Is the things to see worth the time or would it be better to take interstate 95 and continue up to Canada Hwy 2. We would like to stay in NS for 10 days or so, where would you suggest we spend the bulk of the time or is that enough time, we could stay longer because this may be the only time to be there.So much to see and seems never to be enough time. I thought we would start and go north and end up make the loop around the island. maybe stay a couple of days in each place we stopped.

You didn't indicate how you're getting to Ellsworth. At any rate Route 1 is typical Maine two lane highway suitable for eighteen wheelers and large motorhomes. Heading for Calais it's the scenic way to go, small towns etc. Cross into Canada at Lubec for a visit to FDR's summer home at Campobello. Come back out and proceed up to Calais.

A quicker way to reach Calais would be on Route 9 known locally as "The Airline". It was recently upgraded with the hilly grades providing passing lanes. Lots of wilderness with only an occasional home or business. If you're coming up I 95 to Bangor you take l 395 down to East Holden then head North on Maine Route 46 to East Eddington which meets Route 9. If you choose this way be sure to have plenty of fuel as stations are few and far between.

Usually we go via Route 1 for the scenery and small towns and come back via Route 9.

Just had time to look at map, I assume we would catch hwy 3 and go to Ellsworth, is that OK for a big rig towing.