Sign in to follow this  
h20junkie

2012-2014 Ford Focus Auto Trans Positive Battery Disconnect

I have been reading posts for days. I've found many answers (some old, some new) of people trying all different methods of disconnecting the battery on the Ford Focus Toad.

My question is for those of you that decided to disconnect the positive terminal (because it much easier to get at, and needed for a braking system anyway) instead of the negative terminal.

If you have been running your 2012-14 Focus Auto Trans Toad with the positive disconnected, have you experience any troubles?

How many miles have you towed your toad with the positive battery cable disconnected?

Thank you.

I have been towing my 2012 Focus with the positive terminal removed for three years with no problems. I also connect a battery terminal to the positive terminal to power my brake break-away system. It has served me well for over 25,000 miles.

Good and well but you wont get any help from Ford if you have a warranty claim as they can and have asserted that because they specifically require the negative cable to be removed and they have reasons for this, they will not honor the warranty be it expressed or implied. YMMV depending on dealer influence but many have BTDT and lost their shirts.

I have a 2014 Focus, and they say to remove the NEG cable. But read that if you just add a charge line to the car from the motorhome you don't need to do this.

I have asked why from Ford and they don't know why. Does anyone know what the reason is? and if you need to do it anyway?

Also, the neg cable is easy to remove as it is just a bolt on the frame right in front of you above the battery. It is best to get a marine battery shut off switch (about 25 dollars) and put it in line with the cable and then you never have to use any tools just switch it off and on as needed. It will sit right on the cover of the battery. I sure would like to know what the best way is and not have to run 12V to the inside for a brake unit as if the cable is off, the 12v plug is dead.

Thanks,

Bob