TipSanders

Kia 2012/13 Towing Omitted From FMCA Towing Guide

Is there a reason for the Kia vehicles not appearing on the FMCA Towing Guides for 2012 & 2013 even though they're there for 2011 & 2014?

I'm looking at a 2013 Kia Rio for flat towing but I need to know if this is an oversight or Kia's are not on the list for a reason.

I'm looking to downsize from a 2009 Ford Flex.

According to their owners manuals, Kia vehicles are not approved for four-wheels-down towing. However, we did discover that the company issued a technical service bulletin that does permit certain Kia vehicles to be flat towed behind a motorhome. The bulletin, 018 (Rev 2, 01/10/2014) permits front-wheel-drive Kia vehicles equipped with a manual transmission to be towed four wheels down. The bulletin reads:

Any Kia 2WD vehicle equipped with a manual transaxle may be towed with all four wheels on

the ground behind another vehicle, such as a Recreational Vehicle (RV), as long as the following

conditions are met:

1. Transaxle oil is at the recommended level

2. Transaxle is in correct working order

3. Parking brake is released

4. Gearshift is in NEUTRAL

5. Steering wheel is UNLOCKED with the key in the ignition and in the "ACC" position

This includes Kia vehicles built prior to 2014, meaning that a 2012 or 2013 front-wheel-drive Kia with a manual transmission could be towed four wheels down. Kia vehicles with an automatic transmission or four wheel drive are not approved to be flat towed behind a motorhome.

Hope this helps.