Sign in to follow this  
woodcarver

Want a 2012: Malibu, Subaru or Jeep?

We recently purchased a 2000 Bounder Diesel 39z and are looking to buy a car coming off lease to be our toad. The three vehicles we are considering (all 2012 year) are Jeep, Chevy Malibu, or Subaru. We'd like good MPG when driving around town, which isn't a feature of the Jeep from what I can tell but that might be offset by better ease of towing. We'd like to hear from folks who have towed any of these vehicles four-down. Have you had any problems with setting it up to tow, the towing procedures when traveling, or any transmission or battery issues? What kind of mileage do you get when driving it? Is there anything you love or hate about it that it might help us to know before we decide?

If you could describe your towing procedure, that would be very helpful. We would like to avoid buying a car that will require a complicated procedure before or during towing, and from what I have read in the forums so far, the owners manual doesn't always accurately explain how it's done!

Thanks!!

Woodcarver, we tow a 2008 Jeep wrangler behind our 45' Mandalay, this is the second Jeep we have towed and would not consider anything other. We are off road travelers and this 4 dr is ideal, I am 6'2" and have ample room for supplies. I have 72,000 miles on odometer plus approx. 15,000 not logged. The procedure for towing is simple and quick if you follow the operations manual, never had any problems. I use a Demco Commander tow bar. The only different from the previous Jeep, I installed a battery disconnect as this has electronic equipment which on a long pull will drain the battery.

The Jeep owners manual directs you step by step for set up towing and disconnecting. My average MPG is 16.5 up to 20.

Thank you for that info, bobbyks. My husband agrees that the off-roading capability of the Jeep is a plus, but I wonder how often we would have an opportunity to do that. Given your number of towing miles, I'd say the Jeep has been a good choice. I dunno, though, since this will be our only car I am still having trouble with those mpg averages...I can see this is not going to be an easy decision!