motorcyclist

Hydralift Motorcycle Carrier

motorcyclist,

What coach are you planning on mounting the lift on? Reason I ask is do you really want that much extra weight on the rear of your unit? That much weight will surely have an effect on the steering of your coach by having a lifting effect, making the steering much lighter. A lighter front end can cause all kinds of problems. Just my thoughts.

Have safe travels,

Herman

No comments on the Hydralift, as I've decided to go with the cable operated Cruiserlift. I decided to go this route for a couple reasons, mostly cost and simplicity. Haven't got it, or the coach, yet, but thats the setup I'll have. Just need to make sure the GAWR for the Rear Axle will handle the weight.....and make sure you use the weight calculations that take the cantilever effect into the equation. Its not a 1:1 ratio for added weight to the axle.

I have the Hydra lift installed on my 40'dp Monaco Diplomat and I haul an ultra limited have had no or experience any different handling. I did add 5 more pounds of air into the rear tires.

I have the Overbilt electric lift, can't tell the difference in driving without the lift or with it & a 650# bike although I normally carry a 400# bike. I would see if electric or hydraulic is the lightest as it is a long way aft of the axle. If you are carrying a heavy bike you may exceed the axle & tire limits.

No comments on the Hydralift, as I've decided to go with the cable operated Cruiserlift. I decided to go this route for a couple reasons, mostly cost and simplicity. Haven't got it, or the coach, yet, but thats the setup I'll have. Just need to make sure the GAWR for the Rear Axle will handle the weight.....and make sure you use the weight calculations that take the cantilever effect into the equation. Its not a 1:1 ratio for added weight to the axle.

Do you have any updates? We have the shorter 2014 Newmar Ventana 3436, and looking at Cruiserlift. Thank you.

I'm with Herman on this you have to be careful of the weight you add to the rear of your coach as the further to the rear of center of the rear axle the more it will multiply the weight and could overload the rear axle and cause the front to be too light.

I will attach a file showing how to figure the effect.

Rear Axel weight.pdf

I have a 07'HD Classic Cruiser Trike and have found no good way to bring it with me! I also, have a HD Sportster that I take on occasion in the bed off a F 150 4x4.

Every lift that I have encountered, has it's problems, so all my MC friends have gone to pick up trucks for any bike over 350#!

Carl C.

I have the Hydra lift installed on my 40'dp Monaco Diplomat and I haul an ultra limited have had no or experience any different handling. I did add 5 more pounds of air into the rear tires.

I just checked a tire chart and 5 extra pounds buys you an increase in load carrying capacity of about 180 pounds per tire. Times 4 tires that is 720 pounds, and you have a 900 pound bike plus the weight of the lift and that doesn't even take into account the calculations from the information Walt provided. I would strongly advise running your exact numbers and looking up your tire pressures from the tire manufacturers tables. You could load it all up and weigh to see what your rear axle is carrying. If you can get individual wheel weights the information will be even more accurate. I'm guessing you might be surprised by the results and not in a good way.

Do you have any updates? We have the shorter 2014 Newmar Ventana 3436, and looking at Cruiserlift. Thank you.

No updates as of today. We're having major issues with our Newmar product, and after 4 months of ownership, we've only been able to use it 3 times. I'm waiting to install the Cruiserlift until all the "issues" get squared away and I know for sure I will end up with this coach for the long haul.

Regarding the Ventana Model 3436. I believe it has the same rear axle, with a rating of 23,000 lbs. If so, you should be fine. But as everyone has said, after installation and loading whatever bike you plan to carry, get the coach weighed and determine your actual weights on the rear so you can load the coach accordingly and pressurize your tires accordingly.

Out of curiosity I run the figures on my Dynasty for the Cruse lift and a Harley cruser at about 900 lb with fuel and oil and came up with a total added weight of 2450 lb + or - 5 or 10 lb to the rear axle. I have seen a lot of single axle coaches with these lifts but I would not do it but would not hesitate to add one to a tag coach.

Walt2137 - There is no reason a single axle couldn't handle the 2450 lbs if it has a high enough rating to start with (major point in this whole discussion). Any rear axle rated at 21,000 lbs or higher should be able to accommodate the lift and a 900 lb bike (many of us have less weight we're carrying due to the type of bike). You have to watch how you load the coach with other stuff, but as you indicate, there are a lot of single axle coaches out there doing it, and doing it correctly, totally within the max weight rating of the axle.

Walt! Since you tow a Ford 4x4, why not get a electric loading system for the PU bed? Lot cheaper and less weight on axel.

My classic cruiser comes in at 918# non-trike. As a trike 1195#. My HD 72, 446#.

In 1981, I had an Apollo 30' with a 2 bike lift on front off engine...lift + 2 Honda 125 cc = 600# +

Carl C.

Thanks Carl you are right and that is what I would do but now way to old to be riding big bikes, also my coach is at a little over 21000 lb on a 22000 axle with full fuel and water, we are week ended campers only with very little in the bay's,

Actually Monaco shows my rear axle at 20,000 because that was all that was allowed on a single axle by the Fed at the time, I called A tec at Eaton with my axle mod and s/n and was told it's good to 22,000.

Walt,

The LEAST STRONG component determines GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).

Could be axle, but more likely tires, brakes, suspension, etc.

Walt...you say your way to old!? I'll be 72 in Feb! What's age (in years) got to do with it? Big bike is easier to balance than little, as for picking it up when you drop it.

That's what friends are for!

All that we do in life is between the ears...when I get too saying "I'm too old", I'll be hanging up the keys to everything!!!

Carl C.

2010 AMC Tradition 45'

13' not stock wrangler

07' HD CC

12' HD 72

01' Skater 38', "Just for Speed"

Thanks Brett you are right as usual but pretty sure the Dyn was designed for more than 20,000 as Monaco did tag a lot for 22,000 on the data tag before it dawned on them that only 20,000 single axle was legal at the time.

Carl it has a lot to do with age on reaction time, I an 77 now and started riding Bikes (1948 45cc HD) in 1950 and have owned a lot of different bikes, HDs, Trumps, Suzuki's, Kawasaki and a bunch of Honda's and the best riding bike I ever rode and owned was a Honda Gold wing and would love to be able to ride a new GW but in my late 60 I was just to slow to react to a emergency. I have always rode with what I call the big picture and to expect the unexpected but still have been on the ground a few times so yeah I am to old.

Walt

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with motor scooters behind their coach. Thinking about getting a little Honda of some sort that we can use to putt around town. Any recommendations?

I carried a 125 Yamaha Zuma for a few years on my then Class C. I bought the carrier at Harbor Freight, light weight but the scooters are pretty light.

I now have a Class A that can handle a better carrier and a larger Bike (650 Suzuki S-40 aka Savage). this Combo weighs under 500lbs. But, I now tow a Fiat 500, don't have to worry about weather.

I now also have a Kymco 125 scooter, it's also light had will haul me at 55mph and room for 2 people. I good little scooter and a lot less $$ than the Yamaha.

Have fun.

I found the way to get around this was to buy a class A toy hauler. Put my 2005 Goldwing trike in the back and off we go. When trike is out the garage is our bedroom. We love it' :)

I have the hydralift on my 2016 Dutch Star 4369 and it is a strong lift and works well. I originally had it on my 2014 Ventana but it was mounted too low on the frame and pulling over any driveway ramp was a problem.

I transferred the same lift to the Dutch this year but it was correctly installed this time. I did have a pump failure which set me back over $500 for the parts and I installed it.

I had the motorcycle garage on the Ventana and I would tell everyone not to buy it because it ripped apart on the first trip. Brad who is Hydralift is a jerk and the only person to reach. He runs the company on a cell phone and will tell you its your fault. Long story short after months of arguing and sending it back twice at my expense, he replaced the garage. I just threw the new one out after 3,000 miles and having the rear support break and destroy the back of a new Harley.

In summary, the lift is good but do not expect any support from Brad. Do not under any circumstances buy the garage. Even when it was not ripped, I repaired it twice after he replaced it, it does not keep your bike clean. A trailer is the only answer.

Judge.

Welcome from the Blog to Forum! Please enter your coach information in your profile, so it shows up at bottom, See mine on this reply.

That way we can help you better.

Safe travel.

Carl