RonZMan2014

MPG of New Models

Hello Forum Members,

As you can tell by my question, I am new to this forum and a future MHRV - Class A likely, owner in the next month. I did some research, visited new/used dealerships in San Antonio and Houston, Texas. I considered the alternative route of Class C. I am surely leaning toward Class A - Forest River, FR3 25DS; 2014 Coachmen, Mirada 29 DS; or the Thor Motor Coach brand - A.C.E. EVO 29. or one of the new concepts - Axis/Vegas RUV. I am on a reasonable budget of under $80K - entry level model.

The question: Do any of the manufacturers bother to list mileage estimates as auto/truck manufacturers do for their fleet of vehicles? I know I read the bogs and forum posts - but a clean unit with V-10 Ford Triton or a Chevy equivalent - any ideas?

Ron

Ron,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

No, the government mandated EPA stickers are not required on RV's. And they would be virtually impossible to generate, as the same chassis and drivetrain are used on a wide variety of size and weight coaches. You will find many MPG discussions under Class A and Class C.

Ron,

Be careful of "entry level" class A motorhomes. Search this forum for any complaints on the unit you intend to buy. This should give you information required to make an informed decision. You could also consider a used motorhome with all the "bugs" worked out. Many good ones on the market in your price range.

I would recommend looking at a used coach to possibly move up in quality from a entry level for the same price. The big problem with quoting mileage figures is they vary greatly from coach to coach. The more a coach weighs the less mileage you are going to get. I think you can expect a range from 6 to 10 mpg. There are so many variables it is hard to say.

Bill

Yup, on grades, weight is the biggest factor on MPG and speed.

On flats, aerodynamic drag is the biggest factor. So both frontal area, aerodynamics and SPEED are all factors, particularly speed.

Since you are in the 25 ft. range, take the time to look as several of the type B's that are out there in the marketplace. The MB Sprinter diesel offers a average of 20 mpg on diesel. The quality and reliability of the MB van or chassis excels. I am partial to the Advanced RV units but they are in the $150K range. They however are taking in some very nice units from their clients that just could fit your needs. Which ever way you go, welcome to the life of traveling in a motor home. It is a great one as many will tell you and there isn't a better way to see and appreciate the good old USA than in a motor home.

I would definitely look at used in your price range. You will be surprised on the increase in quality and features you can afford by going used 5 or 6 years or so. You can get bigger and higher end with used.

Mileage will be entirely dependent on weight and torque. In used, you might even find some nice diesels in your price range. The already listed 6 to 10 mpg seems very reasonable to me.

I defiantly agree with wildbill308 and wolfe10 on purchasing a used MH that has had the upgrade like sway bars updated and shocks for starters, we own the Axis and have put may $$ and time getting it road worthy to travel between AK and NV without (God Willing) not to many hickups and keep the white knuckle stress level to a minimum.. 

Not to sure how relevant this information is since this is a 7 year old posting. You may want to start a new topic on the handling of an RV. There may be some new commits out there.

Herman

Thanks for that, what I have experienced on RV Blogs is that people do searches for like this particular topic (AXIS) and read relevant info. I will for now on not add to dated topics i will make sure they are up to date if that is what is required.  

Not required is what I was looking for… 

fourm: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged