Sign in to follow this  
bgreen

Power Steering Fluid Blow Back

I have Allegro Bus on Freightliner chasis. I have had recurring problem where the power steering reservoir allows fluid to "splash" out of the vented cap. I have had it serviced with new filters and that lasted maybe 1000 miles. I had a line tightened that lasted maybe 5000 miles. It does not seem to happen running less than 60mph and does not always happen running faster. Freightliner ran all tests, found nothing wrong yet it continues and of course drips out the back on the back of coach and on tow car. Wondering if it could be something as simple as sloshing around and coming out. It is not over filled. The cap was replaced and assume the correct cap was used.

bgreen,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Sound like air is getting into the system and when one of the bubbles gets to the reservoir it splashes the fluid out.

With no leaks showing up on the high pressure side, one would have to consider the suction side having a small leak; that shows up at higher RPM's

Might be a crack or weak spot in the line between the reservoir and the pump.

Rich.

Thanks for your feedback. I have the coach at Freightliner now. I just went on 2000 mile trip and had problems all the way to Virginia, kept mopping up. On one stop I tweaked the cap until it felt firm. I had no problems the remaining 1000 miles. The cap is poorly designed in my mind as there is no such thing as tight, you can twist and twist. There is a rise that I think the cap should stop on and seems to work however also seems to possibly vibrate off that rise periodically. It was a new cap as that was the first thing we tried. Will see if Freightliner agrees or finds something else.