Sign in to follow this  
sv77ri@aol.com

Awning Troubles

I have a 2003 Safari Zanzibar with a carefree awning with wind smart sensor. The roof top anemometer has been broken off by a low hanging branch.
I called a dealer to purchase a replacement only to be told that this part has been discontinued. I then contacted Carefree of Colorado to see if there was a redesign or replacement and was told that they were sorrry for the inconvenience. Has anyone found an alternate system that will work on my awning? Any input would be greatly appreciated

I'm surprised that the anemometer has been discontinued. I just got a replacement (my 4th) in May of this year. I had two broken by tree branches and two were broken by hail. I got mine from a local RV dealer who was able to order it for me from a company in Oregon. You might try another supplier. The anemometers are made by Somfy and they make anemometers for other applications, home awnings, etc. I tried a local Somfy dealer but they were unfamiliar with the RV market. You might try to contact the Somfy company headquarters to see if they are still making them or have any in stock somewhere in their distribution system. Another source might be to try RV salvage dealers. Wolfe10 just posted a listing of RV salvage dealers nationwide. Many of them will provide parts even if you aren't local and can't get to the dealer to pick up the parts.

If or when you find a replacement, Lawler Specialties Inc., 7027 Highway 25, Montevallo, Alabama, 35115, 205-665-7914 makes a metal frame that fits around the anemometer without interfering with its function. I installed one in 2007 and the only damage since then was a hail storm which broke one this spring. At that point I purchased a vent cover for hot water heaters and put it on top of the Lawler frame like a hat. I'm hoping I won't have to replace another one.

A friend of mine took measuring cups and heated the handle and bent it 90 degrees, super glued ( J B weld) and they work just fine.