jleamont

40' Holiday Rambler-- Cummins ISM Fuel Mileage

We are considering our first Diesel Pusher purchase and we located a 2002 Holiday Rambler 40' with a 400hp ISM Cummins and a 6 speed Allison transmission.

I do not know what the axle ratio is but it is on a Roadmaster chassis. Any ideas what to expect for fuel mileage not towing?

We also looked a a new Fleetwood with a Cummins ISB 300 and was told 11-13 MPG which seemed high but sounded good.

We currenly have a 31' Class C Ford E-450 V10 which is around 7-8, I am hoping with the diesel I can get enough fuel mileage to off set the MPG or better would be great.

Any thoughts on the Roadmaster chassis in 2001-2002 good chassis?

Thanks,

The Monaco will likely be in the same range as your gas coach is now unless you drive over 65 MPH in which case it will be lower.

The Monaco outboard air bag suspension is well-regarded. But if no tag axle, check that it is not over weight-- that is a heavy chassis and drive train.

And, I would peg the ISB MPG at 9-11 MPG-- guess you could do 13 at 50 MPH on flat ground.

Thank you Brett, I have been flip flopping back and forth on what year to purchase due to emissions technology, then new seem to be OK now with the SCR engines I just know to stay away from 2004-2009 with the EGR only engine.

I think we're purchasing it.

Thanks,

Joe

On a recent trip from Tucson to Lafayette, LA we averaged 9.5 MPG with cruise set at 57 MPH. ISB 360 engine. 2008 40 Foot H/R Ambassador towing a 2013 CRV.

Update; it is a 2001 ISL400 looked good, no leaks, I have a concern on the air leveling system and the aqua hot system that I am not familiar with, I wanted hydraulic leveling and the traditional RV LP heater would be good, especially since we are not full timers and we only camp in the cold by accident.

The Aqua Hot is a wonderful system. I would certainly not rule a coach out because it was AH equipped. In fact, if we were to get another coach, the AH would be in the "must have" category.

Thank you all for the replies, we purchased the unit and love it so far, its a big difference from the class C we had.

Well...that was a fast 4 years! Today is the day we bought the coach 4 years ago :wub:. In celebration I think I will change my background photo :lol:

Just now, manholt said:

Congrats!  Make the photo a $ bill, lot's of them! :lol:

:lol::lol:

DW tells me today, well, time to upgrade I guess :lol: NO!

Upgrade.

She will see mine & several Prevost's and Newell's in about 4 weeks....your in trouble! :o:(:wub: 

We really need good mobil service in most areas of Texas!  Right now, I only have one that I would recommend...He did my chassis and Allison last month.  I did not have to tell him to put grease in U Joint, until it comes out the other side....no more "klunk" between 1st and 2nd gear! :)

No doubt its tough to locate someone reputable. I don't know of anyone out here other than Fire Apparatus mobile service only. 

There is one independent road service truck in the Rochester N.Y. area - That fixed an oil leak in the air compressor on our coach and one or 2 fleet service road trucks in the area. The part that many owners shutter over in the road time fee - to get them on location.  

Joe, congratulations on you 4 year anniversary!  We have been through a few coaches over the years, but the one we have now has been the one that has just  worked over and above the others and is simple enough for an old country boy to keep running. I'm not sure I want to go through that learning curve again. The newer coaches have gotten exponentially more complex with all the amenities an there software driven control systems.

Rich.   

Rich, thanks! I plan on running this for another 8-10 years if I can. Next coach will be an older bus type metal skinned body 45' unit. Older Prevost or something along those lines preferably no slides, I just want simple, that's it! 

I n our travels we have parked next to some of the 7 figure coaches and many of the owners have lamented over there older units with out slides. Have looked in the bays of some and the amount of space dedicated to the system control is like looking at the server installations for education and the corporate world. The thing is, those installations where not installed into a mobile environment, like planes, trains, trucks or automobiles.  A whole different world!!

Rich.  

Even the older model, no slide out Prevost, has redundant back up systems and probes....Not much in the way of storage, they never where, converted for extended road trips.  Even more so now! 

I don't see me going back to "no slides" I have lived in coaches full time with no slides. My current coach has 3 and I realey appreciate the room. 

Bill

I agree, got to have at least 2+!  :) I remember the first 5 class A, gas coaches, all to well.  They where, 96 inches wide and gave you 92 inches interior...6 foot of head room, I was 6 foot 9 inches. :( Then in mid 1980, they came 102 inches wide, with 98 inch interior and 6 foot 6 inches interior height...that was a big change to us!:o Basement models came at the same time, along with DP and 34 foot.  First coach with a slide out, 7 foot celling height and I was in Nirvana!

Joe, want's a no slide coach, so he can get at all the "Stuff", he carries and his DW, thinks it will be easier to clean! :P I find, that the longer the "no slide" coach, the more furniture, the harder it is to keep clean!  IMHO, the "Stuff" you carry, is limited, by the bays you can carry it in and the weight, you can carry!!!  

No slides..I don't want the problems associated with them. We have 2 now and its useless floor space. Thank goodness they are on the drivers side...well if they were on the passenger side I wouldn't have bought this coach!

Slides are an excuse to think less about the interior layout, get sloppy with placement of furniture and are bling to most people, the more you have the better, no thanks!  I really love my basements on the drivers side being shorter due to the slide I also love banging my head every time I want something from that side also, or better yet crawling on the gravel in shorts to access the basement. 

If you ever have an opportunity to look at Kay's bus you will understand where I am coming from and how proper placement of utilities and furniture make all the difference. He has ample interior space to stretch out and a lot of basement storage.

Joe.  The proper placement of Stuff, will prevent you from having to crawl on DS.  DS side on mine, has water hoses, extra sewer hose's and extra length of 50A cord & 30A cord.  After hooking up, there is no reason for me to be there!  Everything else is on PS in bins, I take out what we need, then let all slides out...I have no "Bling" inside coach.  I do have a sofa, that I should have thrown out a long time ago & replaced with a recliner.  OH well.

Besides, your both shorter than us! :o:)  

Carl, due to the Semi Monocoque chassis my basements are pass through but only two, they do not cross into one another (wall between) like a bus, that causes less basement storage. Most are wide open you just pick what door you want to open to access it. You'll see it in a few weeks. 

I have tools and parts on one drivers side and the other has the full slide tray, so I can pull it all the way out either side which is a HUGE help. The first compartment is my fuel tank and excess filters, chassis fluid storage, sewer hoses and ladder. I am going to re position my fuel pump on the right side so its not blocking access from the right side, that will help a lot and the end goal is to move all the tools and parts to that old propane bay up front, to free up space in the one pass through. 

When I set up the slides go out last so I have full access to everything without smacking my head, then level.