Sign in to follow this  
jmcguire

Handguns Across The Canadian Border

Very curious question. As a retired couple who are licensed to carry a handgun for our personal protection we have a perplexing issue.

Carrying our handgun in the US has not been an issue but we are taking a trip all the way from Texas to Canada this summer. As a precaution I called the Canadian authorities and inquired about declaring my handgun at the border to stay legal. I was informed it was illegal to carry any handgun across the border period.

So I am seeking to find how I can leave it somewhere for a couple of weeks in the US and pick it up upon returning. I have made several calls to gun dealers, police depts, etc without any luck. I don't want to leave it at home as we travel all summer and it gives us some comfort to have it with us.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are leaving on June 1st so asap would be helpful.

I don't know if it is possible or not but you might try a gun club or range in your area.

You could also look into a bank near the border that would rent you a safe-deposit box. You don't necessarily need to have an account at a bank to rent a box. Depends on the bank's rules. You should also tell the bank what you are storing in case they have rules against firearms.

Hope this helps.

You can ship it to family or friends. If you plan to enter and leave Canada at the same check point I also understand that if you make arrangements in advance you can leave your weapon there and pick it up on your way out. However, you cannot show up at the border and request them to keep you hand gun. Trying to get through and getting caught will land your butt in jail so be absolutely sure that whatever choice you make is a good one.

We crossed the Canadian border with FL tags and license but a TX address. Everyone knows that everyone in TX owns a gun (bear with me here) and the border guard was convinced that we must have a gun on board. We didn't and never have, but that did not hold much water. He looked around for a bit and then returned to the front and explained in detail what would happen if I said I did not have a gun and he found one. Despite the fact that we did not have (and never have had) a gun, my wife was a wreck! I said we didn't have one and wouldn't have one (even as a former police officer) and I guess he believed me and send us through. I would never, in a million years, try to sneak anything across ANY border (I am current a few miles from the Mexican border) and you should not either.

It appears that you agree with this scenario so just be sure that whatever you do you do within the required legal confines.

I also have the same issue…I may either rent a “safe deposit box” at a nearby bank, explaining my issue to the bank officer, or perhaps one of the “lock boxes” in the bus station, train station, etc.

As a let resort, the nearest police stain at the border would likely hold it in safe keeping.

Good luck.

Vern Shiloh

PS: what good to visit in Canada for sightseeing?

I wouldn't count on those bus/train station lockers. Last time I used one (10 or more years ago), it had a sign that said there was a time limit. I think it was one or two days. Don't know if that is common practice or not. And I don't know what they do if you do leave it longer. They are intended for cheap short-term storage.Trying a gun club sounds like a good idea if you can find one near where you are crossing. Even if they won't store it, they might know who would.

Good luck!

All the banks I have been into will not allow a weapon into their facility. If you are going to try and keep one in a lock box check with the manager without your gun on you first.

If you use a gun store or any facility to store it (other than the bank) get a receipt and make sure model and other identifiying marks are listed along with the serial number.

How about if for that trip you leave the handgun behind and take a shotgun along instead.....

I understand those can be declared, registered, and traveled with in Canada....Registration is available on the internet.

I use a pawn shop. I drop off the guns (pawn them) and then reclaim them upon return. Pretty inexpensive.

WHATEVER, you do....DO NOT go near the Canidian Border with a handgun in your vehicle. They have NO SENSE of humor. A handgun in Canada is considered a RESTRICTED weapon and will land you in jail without questions.

Best of luck.....

Leave yours gun at home please-- that will save you big trouble at border. Canadian customs don't like you coming in with

any guns period. You could loose your RV and ruin your trip.

Welcome to Canada.

jmcguire

Take the advice of Trushl. DO NOT show up at the border and ask where they can keep your guns until you return! Take no hand guns into Canada. Do not try to hide a hand gun when heading into Canada. Don't be stupid and the Canadian Government will treat you as a honored guest. Be stupid and you end up in jail.

Have never heard of any RVer having to use a handgun. Keep a fire extinguisher handy. After discharging the fire retardant the tank makes a darn good club. Also, in the kitchen drawer you probably have some pretty sharp knives. The long fork one uses for grilling gives you an extended reach.

If you feel you absolutely MUST have a gun then take a shotgun along with buckshot and deer slugs for loads. It can be registered at the border, is legal, and will scare the living **** out of whatever you point it at.

Not to high jack the thread, but since the topic is entering Canada, if you carry liquor, check the laws for the amount you can take into Canada.

Hand guns are legal in Canada if you follow the guide lines. They are posted on line. And barrel length is important. I can't take my Springfield XD 40 with me because the Barrel is a 1/4 inch too short but I can take my Astra .357 revolver with a 5 1/2" barrel. Have the paperwork done ahead of time and be ready to pay the registration fee. If you have any questions, call the number that is provided. I think the Shotgun idea is the best. After having personally seen all the critters that could hurt you, I'll go for the 12 gauge stopping power.

Oh, if you have a knife (folder) on board, it is not a weapon, it's a tool. You won't loose it then at the border when they ask if you have ANY weapons on board. Do it the right way and you won't have any problems crossing the boarder.

Even pepper spray is prohibited. Unless it is marked as a BEAR REPELLENT. Or so I've been told at the stores in Alaska. Good luck, it's a fantastic trip that I already want to do again.

Hand guns are legal in Canada if you follow the guide lines. They are posted on line. And barrel length is important. I can't take my Springfield XD 40 with me because the Barrel is a 1/4 inch too short but I can take my Astra .357 revolver with a 5 1/2" barrel. Have the paperwork done ahead of time and be ready to pay the registration fee. If you have any questions, call the number that is provided. I think the Shotgun idea is the best. After having personally seen all the critters that could hurt you, I'll go for the 12 gauge stopping power.

Oh, if you have a knife (folder) on board, it is not a weapon, it's a tool. You won't loose it then at the border when they ask if you have ANY weapons on board. Do it the right way and you won't have any problems crossing the boarder.

Even pepper spray is prohibited. Unless it is marked as a BEAR REPELLENT. Or so I've been told at the stores in Alaska. Good luck, it's a fantastic trip that I already want to do again.

This is interesting. I always thought that all handguns were not allowed in Canada. After reading your post, I googled it and found this web site: http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

Looks like you are right on! Thanks for the info.

This will require you to cross the border at the same point in both directions. Find a Pawn Shop on the US side and pawn your weapon. This is basically a short term loan that will cost you a percentage of the loan. So, pawn that $600 hand gun for $50 and pick it back up in a week or two for less than $20.