bobcosner

Heater Core Leaking

I have a 2001 Airstream M H, X C 360. The Heater core is leaking.There is a valve in the line so it can be isolated which stopped the leak. It appears to be impossible to get to for removal and replacement. It is behind the front fiberglass cap between the cap and dash.

I removed the cover under the dash and you can get to the fan, but nothing else. When I slide the generator out it is very visible but unless you are a leprecon you can't get to it.

Has anyone out there had the same problem?

If so I could use some help.

I had the same problem in my 99airstream Cutter. I called the Airstream factory and they E-mailed me a drawing and instructions on how to remove and reinstall the heater core.

It really is quite easy and does not require much time.

Bob and Jim,

Welcome to the FMCA forum!

Thank you for your question and feed back!

The strength of the forum is in its members.

Rich.

We bought a 1997 Winnebago Adventurer in August of 2014. It had just over 22,000 miles on it. I noticed a small leak from the heater core before we ever took it on a trip, but since we bought it "as is" Lazy Days sure was not going to make it right. We took it to our mechanic, who said he tried all over to find a replacement and the only place to get the part was from Winnebago. It cost us just under 1,100 for that fix. Once we brought it back home, as it sat in the driveway, I discovered it was leaking fluid from a new area directly under the radiator this time. Mechanic came over and recommended putting some sort of leak stop product. He put that in and I replaced another gallon of antifreeze. Then we took it on a 100 mile round trip test. As we backed into the driveway fluid came gushing out from bottom of radiator again. Took it back to the mechanic who said it was a hose behind the radiator. Another $100. (All of the other visible hoses all appeared new.) Hopefully, the next trip will reveal those problems resolved.

It was not like we got any kind of an extra special price on this MH, and I expected there to be a few minor problems, but am getting discouraged. So far, these problems have surface and been fixed, Norcold that needed a new upper non-replaceable control board (It took me a month of research, but I found a place to repair the board rather than spend $2000 on a new fridge), Furnace that had to be pulled for service, absent windshield washer fluid container installed, leaks all over the place from places on the roof unknown. The leaks are really puzzling and I will search for the thread to ask about that. :) Threads were quite helpful in figuring out the Norcold problem.

ahma,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

There have been owners reporting leaks around the front windshield caused by rusting and brake down of the support frame behind the glass.

Rich.