Kellyg2093

Battery Cut Off Switch At Door Keeps Dropping 12 Volt System

Kelly,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Start by verifying that your battery voltage is 12.0+ VDC. Below that, it is unlikely that the solenoid that the switch controls will work.

If battery voltage is good, locate the solenoid that the switch controls and verify that it is working-- if you need "how too's" let us know.

We have replaced the solenoid to the switch with the resister in it three times/ When looking at the control board in my hallway you can always see batteries fully charged. Now it barely gets to the good range and usually at fair or bad. Can't see why it won't go to fully charged. I think its getting low and dropping the 12 volt system. I have checked all 4 of my Trojan deep cycle house batteries They all appear to be in good shape Nov 2011 they were made.

Kelly,

You need to fully charge them and then load test them.

What is your voltage at the battery (digital voltmeter) when on shore power or generator?

Strange, I recenty had that same problem on my 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W. Hit a bump and lose DC power to the accessories. Happened several times on a trip then completely quit - no DC power. The Aux Battery switch is right by my mid-door entry step. I could push it and hear the EMS chirp but it didn't do anything.

The switch activates a solenoid. Tapping on the solenoid would let the solenoid kick on and off. Dealer replaced solenoid. I have not picked up the coach so I have not tested their fix.

I would like to by-pass and remove this voltage regulator in front left compartment under drivers area and eliminate tis faulty part and energy cut off switch by front door panel I still have the energy cut off switch in the battery compartment if needed i am worried this might be fire issue etc Dont believe it would hurt anything

Suspect you are talking about bypassing the battery disconnect SOLENOID (the solenoid is controlled by the switch).

No problem (as long as you know about amp draws on your battery) and easily done:

Locate the disconnect solenoid. It will have two large lugs and either one or two small terminals.

Mark all the wires on one of the large lugs and then move them to (add them to) the wires already on the other large lug.

This is now the same electrically as the solenoid being ON all the time.

As i understand it, the cut off switch near the door is mainly used be dealers to power down lights while on the lot or to minimize draw while stored. When my solenoid stared acting up then finally went south, Ii replace it with cut out switch just in case i wanted to disconnect interior without turning off the main cutoff switch in the battery bay. Works pretty much same as Wolfe's suggestion above except I can isolate the circuit if needed. Has worked great for 5 years with no issues. Cut off switch has set to be turned off so I would probable just by pass it.

Strange, I recenty had that same problem on my 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W. Hit a bump and lose DC power to the accessories. Happened several times on a trip then completely quit - no DC power. The Aux Battery switch is right by my mid-door entry step. I could push it and hear the EMS chirp but it didn't do anything.

The switch activates a solenoid. Tapping on the solenoid would let the solenoid kick on and off. Dealer replaced solenoid. I have not picked up the coach so I have not tested their fix.

And in my specific case, the main battery disconnect and the auxiliary battery disconnect have to be on in order for the system to charge the batteries using the solar panel or plugged into shore power. This can be verified through the manufacturer of your coach. When I first got the coach I would turn the disconnects off and plug into 110vac. After a few weeks the voltage would be down to 11.8. Now I leave the disconnect switches on and the voltage never drops. The trik-l-charge does its magic.

My husband has bought a new battery shut-off switch for our 2000 Monaco Diplomat, but he has forgotten how to hook it up, there are 2 larger wires and a smaller one he is not sure where the smaller one goes. Could someone show a diagram as to how this hooks up. Thank you,