MadHungarian

Fresh Water Tank Plumbing - '86 Coachmen Classic Class C

We were doing some system testing on the Coachmen the other day in preparation for summer travel, and I noticed that the feed line from the fresh water holding tank has been disconnected from the rest of the system. I'm assuming that at one time the fresh water pump was mounted there, although I haven't found any pump wires. Would I be correct in assuming the pump should be mounted between the tank and the rest of the system, or is there an isolator/check valve that goes there? Any ideas?

Testing getting ready to travel? Do you mean this is your first time looking or there used to be a pump and now there is no longer one?

The "usual" setup would be a water pump located pretty close to the tank and all the associated plumbing would run from there into the coach. You will (should) find 12V wiring somewhere near where the water pump(s) are/were located which will help you identify where thing should have been. Do you see where the water lines go after leaving the area where the fresh water tank output is located?

Testing getting ready to travel? Do you mean this is your first time looking or there used to be a pump and now there is no longer one?

The "usual" setup would be a water pump located pretty close to the tank and all the associated plumbing would run from there into the coach. You will (should) find 12V wiring somewhere near where the water pump(s) are/were located which will help you identify where thing should have been. Do you see where the water lines go after leaving the area where the fresh water tank output is located?

Well Bill, I can only "assume" that there used to be a pump there, as they have the fresh water tank disconnected from the rest of the system and capped on both sides. Looks to me like there was some kind of mechanism there at one time, because the lines aren't cut - just capped. The rest of the plumbing is intact. I didn't see any loose wires laying in that area, so that's what has me wondering what should be there. The former owner had also disconnected the fresh water tank gravity fill line - good thing I started checking things, as the tank and most of the plumbing are under the rear bunk area. Had I started gravity filling the tank from the fill port it would have poured water straight into the power converter, as it's located in the rear bunk area as well. Probably a good thing we were dry camping when we used the rig at Road Atlanta in February! :blink:

I'll try to get a photo of what I'm talking about and post it up tomorrow evening.

I owned an 87 model Southwind some years ago, the fw tank was under the bed, but the pump was under a lavatory sink just outside the bathroom.

I'm apparently either getting old - and blind - or I just didn't remember seeing the wiring. The pump obviously goes in that spot, now I just need to figure out what pump to get...

The mystery fresh water pump...

Pick up a Shurflo pump like this one and the connections you have there will connect without modifications. Connect the wiring back up and you will have water flowing in no time.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-revolution-water-pump/49007

Thanks Bill - yeah, I was looking at the Revolution and some 2088's on Ebay. Not badly priced, so I'm gonna get mine ordered tonight.

We also have a 1985 Class C. My question is not directly related to connecting the water line though.

My question is how do we get rid of the odor and taste from the water that flows through the line either from an outdoor hookup or the internal tank? The odor is TERRIBLE!

My husband has put bleach in there a few times but sooner or later the odor comes back. HELP!

Honestly, I wouldn't drink the water that comes out of the tank - or the city water supply either - without running it through a purifier of some sort. I'd SHOWER in it, but I wouldn't DRINK it. I've been in a couple of the big steel "potable water" storage tanks (yeah - the big ones you see in the countryside), and after seeing what's actually IN the tanks after they've been drained, I now have a faucet water purifier in the house. You are probably going to have to flush the system a lot and keep bleaching the tank, unless someone else has any other suggestions.

BTW - Got a new Surflo Revolution on Ebay for $63.00 and free shipping!! Luvin' it! ;)

I use drink, cook and shower with the water in our holding tanks. There is no reason not to do so if your tanks and plumbing are clean. The tanks are plastic just like the plastic in the water bottles everyone thinks are the bee knees. Water out of a plastic tank and water out of a plastic bottle is all the same if it is properly cared for.

Now, I do have to say that I have only been doing this every single day since 1999 so I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I use drink, cook and shower with the water in our holding tanks. There is no reason not to do so if your tanks and plumbing are clean. The tanks are plastic just like the plastic in the water bottles everyone thinks are the bee knees. Water out of a plastic tank and water out of a plastic bottle is all the same if it is properly cared for.

Now, I do have to say that I have only been doing this every single day since 1999 so I'm pretty new to this stuff.

That's cool - not saying you're wrong .... just saying I've seen where the public water supply comes from!! ;)

Got my new pump today and installed it... works perfect - no runs, no drips, no errors!! :D

Yes, the fresh water tank "holds" water and is a fresh water holding tank. There are also black and grey holding tanks which serve different purposes. B)

I do understand the sick sense of humor, however! :D

Yes, the fresh water tank "holds" water and is a fresh water holding tank. There are also black and grey holding tanks which serve different purposes. B)

I do understand the sick sense of humor, however! :D

He gotcha Bill !! :P I didn't even catch that - must be getting tired from all this heat. Way to go shipmate!! ^_^