Sign in to follow this  
Afgandon

Chassis Batteries Not Charging

Hello.

We have a 1999 Safari Zanzibar 3875. When we are hooked up to shore power the chassis batteries do not charge. I don't have any manuals and don't know where to find the charger. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Afgandon,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

At least on our 1997 Safari, the chassis batteries are NOT charged except by the alternator when the engine is running.

Many have added a separate small charger-- here is what I use, as it also has a desulfate function:

http://www.batteryminders.com/batteryminder-model-1500-12volt-1-5-amp-maintenance-charger-desulfator/

Another option is one of the "smart relays" like the Xantrex Echo charger that charges the chassis battery from the house battery when shore power powers your inverter charger.

If you are talking about the house batteries, check the breaker on the 120 VAC panel for the inverter/charger (assuming that is what you have).

Please do tell us what charger or inverter/charger you have. And, if it has a remote control panel, what does it show for voltage and amps?

Its a Heart Interface inverter, and now shows 12 volts, and under 10 amps, the lowest it can indicate. I'm also only plugged into a 20 amp connection, don't know if that will make a diffierence.

15 or 20 amps outlet should work just fine.

Have you verified that the outlet has power?

Do other reasonably small 120 VAC loads (microwave light up, outlets work)?

Do circuits powered by the inverter when not on shore power or generator work as they should? What is voltage (digital voltmeter into any house-type outlet in the coach.

If batteries are deeply discharge, the inverter/charger may be drawing (actually trying to draw) too many amps to charge the batteries. It can easily be reprogrammed (usually from the remote) to "power share". Factory setting is 30 amps. Setting it to 5 means it will not tax a 15 amp outlet.

Another test is to disconnect from shore power and turn on the generator. If the inverter/charger works as it should, you know from your ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch onward everything is OK.

Brett

I had the same problem with my 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. My RV has two coach batteries and two engine batteries.

It originally turned out to be a faulty inverter. I had that changed out. Shortly there after, I started having the same problem again. Since the coach was used only 1-2 times year, I could not determine what the problem was. I replaced batteries every year.

I was fortunate to stumble onto the name of a long time RV electrician who knew immediately what the problem was.

I had the batteries replaced so many times by many different service centers. Each time the batteries were hooked up slightly differently. After a while, the batteries would not charge at all.

Once the batteries were installed correctly, I haven't had any more problems.

I took pictures of all the hookups and keep it inside the battery compartment so there is no confusion. When I take the coach in for service I tell them to use the pictures as a guide. Before I take delivery of the rv, I double check to make sure the batteries have been installed correctly.

I have not had a single issue with the batteries in the last few years.

dkconsidine, Thank you for posting the tip !

The correct wire information is always good to have at hand when they are replaced.

Rich.