I'm doing a late spring cleaning starting with the roof from the tree pollen on the roof and running down the sides. When I wash the roof today I noticed that clear coat is peeling all around the roof where it is painted. The center part of the roof appears to be white aluminum and is ok, so it's just the last 6 inches on both sides and over the front and rear caps.

What I'm thinking of doing is getting a good oil-based enamel paint like Rustoleum and color match if I take one of the painted a/c or fridge covers to the paint store. Then sand and paint all affected areas. This will be a roll or brush on as it's not going to be seen much at ground level. Does anyone have better do-it-yourself solutions?

Ray I just completed the exact task you are looking to do, except the front and rear end caps were OK.. Here's what I did, and it worked great.

First I sanded the entire area, front to rear, on both sides. I took the refrigerator access door to a local NAPA Auto Store that has a paint section.

They were able to custom mix a matching paint AND put it into a spray can. I am told any automotive paint shop should be able to do this, but I have used NAPA before and have always had good results. Based on their input, after sanding, I wiped down the area with Acetone, then applied an adhesive spray on that they suggested, followed by the custom mixed paint and then three light coats of a clear gloss. All this paint material came from NAPA. I have a garage I was able to use for the work and again, the job came out very nice. It did take several days to complete this job.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

If it's just the roof use Rustolium white marine deck coating/paint. Been done many times by others. works great.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I will go with white as I don't think I can get the tape straight enough across the front and back. Great idea about the fridge side access panel as it has some of the right color on it and not as big as the a/c or fridge roof cover. I think I want to stick with brush or roll on and won't feel bad if I have to do again in five years. I need to find a place to mix oil base paint the right color. Will Lowes or Home Depot do it?

Pettit Easypoxy is a very good marine paint which will lay flat and has a high gloss finish which will look like it was sprayed on. I used it on a mast and boom and it was still like new after 13 years in the tropics. Available at most marine stores.

Some of the white paint on my roof runs down the sides...looks bad and is hard to remove. Does anybody know if any of the paints noted above run?

I like the reviews of Pettit Easypoxy marine paint. I also think that sandstone is a very close match to the color I need. I will grab the access panel from the fridge and visit West Marine in Everett, WA first chance I get. It's about 45 miles from me so may be awhile before I go. I want to get this done while the weather is good.

Did not know where else to enter this 'topic':

Roof Maintenance for 40 foot Safari Cheetah, 3 slides (2004 Monaco product?)

Just returned from local Camping World in Katy, TX where "Preventative Roof Maintenance" was performed for $400. This consisted of 'washing' the white (rubber-based? ) roof. They claimed the use of brushes, a cleaning solution (?), removal of 'flaking' paint and 'paint dust'. They recommended we continue with their 'sealing' process which costs $900!

Now, I have, in the past 3 years, gotten on top, used a dishwashing detergent and long-handled brush to remove any debris/stains, that I could. There were areas around the usual roof top, covers for appliances and vents that did require some attention. I used the thick, white paint-like product that Camping World sold, and carefully applied around these areas with a generous coat to close up any cracks, etc.

This roof is covered 'most of its life' by an open-front shelter and is on the road about 2 months out of the year, on average. We have never experienced a leak even during the heaviest rain storms.

The Camping World team who performed the 'washing' treatment in the last two days suggested I would need 6 tubes of their 'self-leveling' caulk. Their suggestion was that the roof coating was wearing thin resulting in a generous amount of white dusty powder. I am dubious that this may just be a 'selling jig'.

What is the most likely 'chemistry', and traditional life of the white rubberized roof material that was available in the 2004 time frame? The coach has been sheltered 80% of its life.

In your best opinion, 'am I covered', or do I need to go the full measure of a 'roof sealing'?

John S

jwsties@aol.com

Did some work on the roof today. Used 320 grit sandpaper using a 6 inch sander polisher. Got the paint a near match but no flakes in it. Added flakes today and shook it at hardware store. Hopefully I get it on tomorrow after I wash and tape it off. Might get hit by rain tonight so not today.

John I'm sure there is a roof coating that you can use that renews rubber roofs. You can try at Camping World.

I finished the roof painting yesterday and almost matched. The biggest reason it not a perfect match is the paint is rolled and not clear coated but the color is very close so don't make a differences. I hope these pictures will work so you can see.

paint 1

paint 2

paint 3

Some of the white paint on my roof runs down the sides...looks bad and is hard to remove. Does anybody know if any of the paints noted above run?

Yes. Use the Rustoleum White Deck Paint. Clean first with simple green, Then Use red 3M pad to get all the oxidization off.

Paint with 6 inch 3/4 nap roller. do 2 coats and sand with 220 grit between coats fellow directions on paint can for drying.

No more whits streaks.

John