Sign in to follow this  
elkhartjim

Shocks For 2008 Freightliner XCS

Its time or passed time to replace my OEM shocks. I'm leaning towards the Koni FSD shock but I'm open for discussion yet I don't want to turn this into a Ford vs Chevy discussion.

2008 Freightliner XCS Chassis

Front Suspension: Straight Axle

Rear Suspension: ADL

Thanks for all constructive information.

Actually, the Koni FSD's are NOT adjustable. They "self adjust" based on the frequency of motion.

Said another way, they are both softer and firmer than the shocks they replace. Call them "smart".

I had Road Kings installed on a Country Coach. Very disappointed. I did the front ones first because I had just replaced the rears with new Bilstiens(original Equipment). Then when there was only a slight improvement I did the rears for another $1000 installed. Very slight improvement there so I contacted the salesman and had the fronts redone. Had more improvement but when I contacted them again about another adjustment, he wanted to sell me the 3" version. I said no mas.

Still bouncing and swaying down the road,

Jim Boguslaw

2007 Country Coach Tribute

Sorry about your swaying and bouncing down the road, Jim.

When I was researching shocks, I read several reports with your same results with the Bilstien shocks. I selected the Koni FSD shocks, hoping for less bouncing and swaying.

My coach rides smooth as butter, no bounce and a very quick recovery going over what would have made it bounce with the original "Bils" Konis have been a great shock for a very long time. Save some dough and install them yourself. Buy the wrench a long one not made in China because some of them will brake. I'm nearly 69 and have done all the major maintenance my self. Sure is cheap asking questions and rewarding when finished putting the green in your own pocket

B 2001 Safari Zanzibar Velvet Ride with "self adjusting" Konis and Tiger Trax

Save some dough and install them yourself.

By the time I buy a jack large enough, heavy duty jack stands and any necessary tools to perform this task, I will most likely save some money paying someone else to install the shocks.

I'm glad to hear another good experience with the Koni shock.

Harbor Freight has jack stands for $99 + $7 shipping, they also have a 30 ton bottle jack for $99. Then you can safely get under there for any number of jobs or just to inspect it. I've seen the work that "professionals" have done, sometimes checking their work is a good thing. Even the best mechanic can screw up.

I trust the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney; they are professionals. I've been quoted a time of 2 hours or less @ $85/hour plus my FCOC discount. I admire those of you who have the equipment and desire to do the heavy mechanical work on your motorhome, its just not something I want to do.

Thanks for the info on jack stands, etc.