mandy2008

Thor Palazzo 36.1 Review Before Buying

Mandy,

I'm sorry that I have not responded to your question sooner but I seldom read this forum.

I own a 2013 Palazzo 36.1.

Here is what we like:

1. the floor plan

2. the large basement door

3. the mud room

4. the Freightliner chassis

5. the Thor helpline and support

6. lots of storage

Here is the short list of what we dislike:

1. the shoddy workmanship and poor cabinetry

2. two black tanks

3. the schwintek slide mechanisms

4. the cheap components

5. noisy airconditioners

6. air mattresses

7. very poor dealer support from Camping World

I would not buy one with the knowledge I now have. I suggest your visit iRV2.com and read comments from all of the dissatisfied owners of Palazzos

Mandy,

Unless there are no options for you do NOT buy a Palazzo! Just my two cents worth...

Some reasons behind this post would be useful to the OP. As it stands it really does him no good.

It's like saying Don't Ever Go to Johnny Rockets and just leaving it at that.

Hey Mandy!

Just saw your post. We are Newmar Dutch Star owners but are currently in Ruidoso NM camping next to a 2014 33.1 Palazzo.

I was just visiting with the very nice owners and asked them how they liked it. They said this was their first trip since buying it in the beginning of June this year. It has been in the repair shop for 12 weeks since they bought it. Many problems from slides to other poor quality issues. Bought at Camping World. We were sitting outside visiting when the outside TV came on by itself!!! They are NOT happy campers!

We have owned our Palazzo 33.1 for 26 months and have traveled from Florida to Michigan and Wyoming to Virginia Beach and all places in-between. We are getting ready to head out again for a 3000 mile trip through the Northeast and Nova Scotia and back to attend the Thor Diesel Club rally in Goshen, IN. After saying all this We am very happy with our Palazzo and the service we have received from Thor and Freightliner. I am very active on iRV2.com (2000+ posts) and they have a section dedicated to the Palazzo; http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/ with more than 100 owners commenting. The Thor Diesel Club also has a forum http://www.thordieselclub.org/ that could be referenced.

The Palazzo is our 2nd Thor product and we would buy Thor again if we were in the market for a new coach. The Palazzo has had some issues but Thor has stood tall getting the problems fixed up to and including replacing an owners coach with a newer and different model. I have never read where any other coach manufacturer has done so much! Most coaches have you go to the end of the line once you are out of warranty, not Thor. They continue to service your coach, sometimes without charge long after the coach warranty has expired.

In my humble opinion you can’t get as much coach for the dollars at any other manufacturer!

Jack & Karen Arnold

Fairfield, Ohio

I generally like Thor products and I hate to post this but I've owned a new Palazzo 36.1 now for almost 10 months and both slides, both air conditioners, the loft bed and the monitor panel have all failed already. I'm disappointed and expected more from Thor. Camping World service is a complete bust as well and I will not return there for service.

I strongly considered the Palazzo, but research on the product sent me elsewhere. I read numerous stories about poor quality control and little or no reply from the manufacturer regarding service issues. The overwhelming knock was a failure of the motors that power the slide-outs. In the end, I decided to purchase from a mfg. that did not have "multiple" product lines

OK, moutonia.

I'm really confused! A DP mfg. that does not have multiple product lines, I understand and their coaches go for $1.3 to 2.7 million. What I don't understand, is why you where looking at a Palazzo to begin with! Toad?

Carl

I strongly considered the Palazzo, but research on the product sent me elsewhere. I read numerous stories about poor quality control and little or no reply from the manufacturer regarding service issues. The overwhelming knock was a failure of the motors that power the slide-outs. In the end, I decided to purchase from a mfg. that did not have "multiple" product lines

So why don't you add your coach to your profile and signature lines?

Bill

On 1/11/2016 at 9:05 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

So why don't you add your coach to your profile and signature lines?

Bill

You made a good choice by not buying plazzo. Just bought a 33.3 (third owner by the way). Had 11000 miles on it and looked new. Have worked on it ever since and its a good thing I can do this myself.  The last and most concerning issue was the coach air not  working. I found a receipt where the last owner spent $1800.00 on the a.c. New compressor, new expansion valve, new drier, and new condenser. After several hours and a few test I decided that the air flow across the evaporator was not enough to keep it from freezing up. Removed part of the dash and console to discover that carpet had been installed over the air intake for Max air. Removed the carpet and all is good now. Cannot wait for another issue. Sad that the second owner and myself have no warranty on the coach.

All coaches have problems.  The key is to try and get one that has less than average.  After reading this short thread I would be scared to death buying a Thor Palazzo.  I spent a couple of years reading thousands of posts on several RV forums before I bought the coach in our signature line.  I also bought many many information disks and books from the RVCG on what they recommend.  By the time we finally bought a coach I was very good at spotting quality RV construction on my own.  I would research your possible Palazzo purchase before doing it by reading as much as you can about it.  

If our coach burned to the ground today I would go out and look for a coach like the one we have used to replace it.  Maybe a few years newer.  

We looked at a Palazzo, new at the dealer before making the current purchase, since these are considered entry level DP's. I guess the old saying "you get what you pay for" really carries weight with the RV industry.The drivers side had a huge full wall slide, it was broken, there was a drop down electric bunk over the cab area seating, when I pressed the button for it to go down, jammed and broke off the wall, crashing onto the drivers seat. Needless to say we were shocked and walked away. Before that I really didn't like the lack of storage underneath it either. We have looked through several new coaches, I hate to say it but all of them were built like trailers with little to no quality, just shiny thing's to distract you from the truth.

I would love to know what the OP did, how they made out in the end, what they purchased and why?

We have a 2013 36 ft. Palazzo which is currently in the shop for the 4th time to repair the large slide out. Fortunately we have an extended warranty, although I think Thor should be covering this under the original warranty as this is an ongoing problem! The 2 rail system is being replaced with a 3 rail system. Hope that takes care of the problem! Thor's customer service is less than stellar as reps don't call back as they say they will, part didn't get ordered when it should have, etc. has anyone considered filing lemon law in regards to this slide? Seems to be a widespread issue and maybe some pressure could be put on Thor to make good on its product!

Beth,

As Carl said you are the first to respond to this post since April 22,2016. That not a big problem when you have something new to add. If you see a posting you can check the date by looking to the right of the last person posting, as in this "jleamont       Posted April 22, 2016".

But as Carl said, Welcome to the Forum. Let hear more from you.

Herman