rbgoudreau

Cross Country Weather Conditions

We are planning a trip across country, from Boston to Colorado.

We had planned on leaving 6/6 but are very concerned about the storms raging the country.

We had planned to pick up Route 66 in Oklahoma but are having 2nd thoughts. We don't want our MH damaged by storms.

Is there anyone out there who is dealing with this weather?

How bad is it, really?

Thanks

Ron & Bonnie

Where it is bad it is very bad. However, those areas are extemely isolated and the news and weather outlets are very good at letting you know where the storms are and where they could be. Traveling through OK in the Summer can be very bad or completely free from storms. You just need to stay informed. The only way to avoid a storm is to not go that way. You will need to see what the weather forecast is for the days you plan to be in certain parts of the Country and either re-route or delay your travels. The only way to stay out of it is to stay out of it.

Those storms will be gone by the time you are ready to travel but may be replaced by others. Just look at the forecasts for the area you plan to travel and stay informed. Oklahoma is no more dangerous for storms than most other states.

Leary, Sandra and Bill, thank you for your responses. The common thread is to watch the forecast. We will your advice and just stay ahead of the storms (or behind!).

Thanks again,

Ron and Bonnie

Ron,

Yes Oklahoma is called Tornado Ally for good reason. That being said by the time you get into this area there should be no problem. However if you may still have concerns you may consider going across Kansas from Kansas City to Denver on I-70. Not the most scenic drive but neither is Hwy 66 through most of OK. Also you might consider I-80 into Cheyenne, WY. Again not the most scenic but both are above the OK flat lands.

You and Bonnie have a safe trip and stop along the way to smell the flowers.

Herman

We travel with a Midland NOAA Weather radio in our motorhome. It has alerted us of weather as we're traveling down the interstate. It has 2 modes, "home" or "roaming". Roaming is what we keep it on as it alerts us to weather around us. It's loud but that's what you want when bad weather is approaching. When we visited the National Weather Center in Norman, Oklahoma last year, they suggested the Midland radio too. Campgrounds should post their county as most weather is reported in counties but I've noticed lately our weather radio at home has started listing cities so that's a good move on NOAA's part. It's a great investment and I believe I read about it in the FMCA magazine a couple of years ago. http://www.amazon.com/Midland-HH54VP2-Portable-Emergency-Weather/dp/B003FGWF04/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401918904&sr=8-4&keywords=midland+weather+radio

To all our "friends" who have helps us feel more secure with out trip, thank you.. We just retired last fall so this is our first cross country trip. We will be taking your advice with investing in a radio and taking the alternate routes suggested.

We have never posted to a forum before but certainly know where to ask for help from now on!

Thank you for all your help.

Sincerely appreciated.

Ron and Bonnie

Ron and Bonnie,

I don't think any of us said welcome to the FMCA forum - guess we were all busy answering your question - but welcome.

Hope you have a good trip. We started full timing in November 2011 and never fail to learn something new when I log onto the forum.

Enjoy Colorado - we plan to be in Colorado sometime in August for a little trout fishing.

Ron and Bonnie, Congratulations on the retirement! Welcome to FMCA! Enjoy your travels, take your time on the road, and enjoy every minute of it.

To say "Oklahoma is no more dangerous for storms than most other states" is simply not correct. It's not OK only but OK and several other States in Tornado Alley do have a higher risk of severe weather (spell that extremely destructive and/or deadly). Special attention should be paid when traveling into these areas. The rest of the Country is not immune (like FL in the Summer) but the reality is these areas are going to see more severe and more damaging storms than any other part of the US.

512px-Tornado_Alley_Diagram.svg.png