JohnJill

Norcold Fridge Recall

Just got a call from the dealer saying our Norcold fridge has a recall for a heat sensor.

What will this fix?

John,

Norcold has had several recalls. The first was a device to prevent over heating. The second was to install a sensor to detect over heating and would shut off the power to the unit if over heating occurred. The second recall had about a 50% failure of the circuit board. If I am not mistaken if your wiring on the back of your refrigerator has a yellow tag on one of the wires your are OK.

Take the serial number off your unit and call Norcold and they will confirm if you need to schedule an appointment with a dealer.

Herman

Hi Herman, are you referring to the "black box with red light" or the actual control board? I'm familiar with restoring the black box with a magnet but if you know about a board fix I would be interested in that info.

Thanks,

Hi Herman, are you referring to the "black box with red light" or the actual control board? I'm familiar with restoring the black box with a magnet but if you know about a board fix I would be interested in that info.

Thanks,

Yes, after the recalls everyone should carry a strong magnet in their tool box to reset the recall box. I have to reset mine after power wash as it don't like the mist for some reason. I don't spray directed at the fridge access panel.

Interesting that you make that statement, Ray. On a recent trip, the coach was filthy so we decided to stop at a Blue Beacon Truck Wash. Even though I cautioned them not to spray near the refer vent, they apparently sprayed directly on the vent and the refer went off. By the time I had dug the magnet out of the storage bin the dang refer started running again...good ole Norcold.

I'm still curious if Herman had some magic to restart a dead board.

The magnetic is the method to reset the Circuit. However if the board will not reset, (reset means the red light goes out), You can bypass the board by disconnecting the black wire from the small circuit board and put it in place of the Blue wire coming from the small board going to the main circuit board. This is only a temporary fix and you should get the unit to a dealer ASAP!

Herman

The magnic is the method to reset the Circuit. However if the board will not reset, (reset means the red light goes out), You can bypass the board by disconect the Black wire from the small circuit board and put it in place of the Blue wire coming from the smal board going to the main circuit board. This is only a temporary fix and you should get the unit to a dealer ASAP/

Herman

When I didn't know the reset method and was in Alaska last summer I bypass the recall box by installing a mini blade fuse from in and out wires at the box. I didn't know if the fridge would start or blow up but I tried it and it worked. The only reason I knew about the recall then is that the dealer performed it before I left for Alaska. That was the first time it went out from a power wash.

Thanks, Herman. I think what I'm calling the "black box with a red light", you're calling a board.

I was hoping you had a method to bring the controller board back to life.

My refrigerator worked fine before all the recalls which I faithfully followed. Started having problems immediately. Last time a mobile RV repairman took all the wiring off and I'm back to the original configuration and It works fine. If it goes up in flames, at least the refrigerator will be cold. I'm not suggesting that any of you should so the same.

Ok recall was done, now just like you said the black box light is flashing and fridge is out. Ok so where does the magnet go and is the light suppose to stay on instead of flashing.

Ok recall was done, now just like you said the black box light is flashing and fridge is out. Ok so where does the magnet go and is the light suppose to stay on instead of flashing.

Hold strong magnet to the right of the blinking light and it should go out.

Do you do this with all the wires attached, or unplug the black (ground ) the red, or the wire harness?

In order for the relay to work there must be power to it. When mine goes out I hold the strong magnet to it and it usually takes a few seconds to reset. Then you can go inside and turn the fridge on.

John, As mentioned by Huffy, you need a strong magnet and hold it against the module / circuit board; on the side near the red LED.

Rich.

Just had a RV tech just leave, the recall kit I had installed was not one that can be reset, so he has one on order from Norcold which does not have the best customer service.

I has to be an outdated kit because the latest is resettable. The part number on mine is 634677 Rev. E. Any recall box with a lesser revision letter may not be resettable and has been lots of problems. It's nice of your dealer to call you in so they can break your fridge. You need to be sure you can reset it in the field. <_<

http://www.arprv.com/troubleshoot-norcold-recall.html

I found the receipt when the first recall kit was done back in 2011 and another one where the box was replace again same year, so looks like this will be the third box replaced since 2011.

If you need to use the fridge you can bypass it and see if it works providing that you take all other safety precaution.

We have fridge, the reason the black box would not reset, the heat senor that goes around the burner was open, making the black box go in shut off mode.

Thanks for all of yall's help.

John