rcmcdonald@juno.com

Installing Airtabs

HAS ANYONE INSTALLED THE AIRTAB SYSTEM (THEY SAY AIRTABS BREAK UP THE VACUUM BEHIND THE MOTORHOME AND INCREASE THE MPG SLIGHTLY. AND ALSO KEEP THE REAR CLEANER AND HELP WITH THE SIDE THRUST WHEN BEING PASSED BY 18 WHEELERS.)

I JUST GOT A '09 ITASKA LATITUDE 39W AND AM CONSIDERING ADDING THESE.

Thanks!

Hi 09latitude,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. Last month I was parked to a couple who have had the air tabs for quit some time. The guy claimed better control. He mentioned there was no increase in MPG. My wife (the real decision maker) and I do not like how they look. I am very satisfied with how my coach handles. I will not put them on my coach.

HAS ANYONE INSTALLED THE AIRTAB SYSTEM ( THEY SAY THEY BREAK UP THE VACCUUM BEHIND THE MOTOR HOME AND INCREASES THE MPG SLIGHTLY. AND ALSO KEEPS THE REAR CLEANER AND HELPS WITH THE SIDE THRUST WHEN BEING PASSED BY 18 WHEELERS. ) I JUST GOT A '09 ITASKA LATITUDE 39W AND AM CONSIDERING ADDING THESE. thanks!

CapsLock.jpg

Wolfe10 has 'em on his MH and has noticed some improvement. Some like 'em and some think they're ugly. There are lots of pros and cons on the Internet RV forums about them and I believe the pros win. Spend your $$ and try them for yourself. :rolleyes:

They look like fun to wash. :rolleyes: Before I would even consider sticking those ugly things on

my coach if they were free, I would want to test drive two identical RVs, one with the Air Tabs

and one without to see if there is a significant difference in handling.

The Air Tabs

shows a computer animation of how it works and mentions wind tunnel

test were done.

IF SO, then show me a video of a wind tunnel test using smoke.

I have looked at these before and wondered if they perform as advertised. If you have these on your RV Brett, how about sharing your thoughts with us?

For RV'ers, we may never recover the cost in fuel savings, we just don't drive the miles that truckers do. Do they really improve handling and prevent dirt accumulation on the rear of the vehicle as advertised?

On my RV there are surface seams (1/2 inch above surface) near (about a foot) the rear edges on each side. How would they affect installation and performance? Would the Air tabs be installed in front of this obstruction or behind it? This seam also would make it near impossible to install these in a straight line.

I did notice that they are available in clear as well as the white and black. As far as the appearance, I have never noticed them on a truck or RV. Am I just not seeing them or are they just not very common? If they are common, they couldn't be that ugly to me since I haven't seen even a single vehicle with them.

Tom,

Yes, we have had Air Tabs on our coach for a couple of years. Ours are white with FUSION paint to match the coach.

They do function as advertisedâ€"the physics is well-proven. The two websites I posted above make good reading.

The error I feel their detractors make is to expect silver bullet that will correct all the aerodynamic ills of their coach. NO device will do that.

What the Air Tabs will do is improve:

1. Handling, particularly in cross wind and passing 18 wheelers.

2. Reduce dirt accumulation on back of coach and toad.

3. Give SLIGHT improvement in MPG. Their website only claims 3-4% and I suspect that is accurate. With the differing terrain (flat when we head east and mountains when we head west), differing head winds, etc all I can say is that our annual MPG is up slightly since adding the Air Tabs.

As a side note:

Sometimes it is easy to take modern technology for granted. We are in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico on the Carnival Conquest on the way from Galveston to Jamaica with a satellite Wi-Fi connection back to the rest of the world.

Brett Wolfe

Tom,

Given the opportunity and Mr. Peabody's WABAC Machine, would you spend

the money and install them on your RV again :rolleyes: ?

Also, how difficult is it to wash them.

DoggyDaddy,

I believe your question was directed to Brett, not me.

Brett,

Enjoy your trip! Sounds like great fun. Yes, technology today is incredible compared to what it was just a few years ago. Another techno revolution or just a continuing acceleration of the long running one that started in the 1500's? Either way it certainly does make life interesting. Now get off your computer and enjoy the cruise!!!! lol

Tom

Tom,

Given the opportunity and Mr. Peabody's WABAC Machine, would you spend

the money and install them on your RV again :rolleyes: ?

Also, how difficult is it to wash them.

If, as Tom suggests, that question is directed at me-- yes, I would do it again. They are easy to install (peel and stick with template for spacing). Painting is also easy with FUSION paint. I found a green that was a perfect match for our coach.

And I use the same long-bristle wash brush on them as on the rest of the coach.

Brett Wolfe

Do you know if any particular RV is effected more than others. I have an 03 36' Alfa, I have noticed when going to one of the sites you had on you post it seems most of the people who like them have Alfas. Is there something different relative to the height. I am new to the RV thing so bear with me if I ask something totally out of left field.

Do you know if any particular RV is effected more than others. I have an 03 36' Alfa, I have noticed when going to one of the sites you had on you post it seems most of the people who like them have Alfas. Is there something different relative to the height. I am new to the RV thing so bear with me if I ask something totally out of left field.

Eva,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, the effect of side winds, passing trucks, etc is in direct relation to the amount of "sail area" the side of the coach offers. Particularly, that portion behind the rear wheels (think of the wind vane on the barn roof-- that little bit of surface area in the tail of the wind vane points the whole vane toward the wind).

Alfas are very tall, so products like the Airtabs would have more positive effect on your rig than shorter ones.

Brett Wolfe

HAS ANYONE INSTALLED THE AIRTAB SYSTEM (THEY SAY AIRTABS BREAK UP THE VACCUUM BEHIND THE MOTORHOME AND INCREASE THE MPG SLIGHTLY. AND ALSO KEEP THE REAR CLEANER AND HELP WITH THE SIDE THRUST WHEN BEING PASSED BY 18 WHEELERS.) I JUST GOT A '09 ITASKA LATITUDE 39W AND AM CONSIDERING ADDING THESE. Thanks!

I have a 2010 40 Phaeton and I installed the airtabs. They are great and do as advertised. I also had a friend that installed them and he is also very happy. The company is great and very responsive to your call/emails. They are a great investment.

Otis P Lutz

We added airtabs in 2009 before we did a southwest trip. We have a 2003 Southwind 35r that we tow a 16 foot flatbed with our Prius on top and were getting about 6 mpg. I saw the Airtabs advertisement and went to the web site to check them out. The site did a good job of explaining and showing how the air tabs work so I figured given the trip length the cost of the air tabs factoring in the saved gas cost I should break about even. So I bought and installed them as well as a F&N 100k air filter. I typically only drive 60 mph and 55 mph when the speed limit drops. I noticed I was getting 7.5 mpg which was a huge increase. The added benefit is I get little or no wind turbulence from big trucks as they pass or we pass them. I do get some when the wind hits my trailer but the air tabs are well worth the cost and not only pays for them self over time does improve handling significantly. I have not seen anyone else who has them but I have been asked several times about them. My recommendation is get them, they are well worth it - happy rving

Guest BillAdams

"When installed on the rear edges of the author's motorhome, Airtabs helped to reduce drag and increase fuel mileage."

This comes from the article "MPG -- five ways to improve your motorhome's fuel mileage" in the September 2009 issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine.

post-220-1252408591_thumb.jpg

This link is no longer valid due to changes on the website but I found this link which appears to be the correct link.

http://www.fmcmagazine.com/back-issues/2009/september/162-mpg

Guest BillAdams

We added airtabs in 2009 before we did a southwest trip. We have a 2003 Southwind 35r that we tow a 16 foot flatbed with our Prius on top and weregetting about 6 mpg. I saw the Airtabs advertisement and went to the web site to check them out. The site did a good job of explaining and showing how the air tabs work so I figured given the trip lenght the cost of the air tabs factoring in the saved gas cost I should break about even. So I bought and installed them as well as a F&N 100k air filter. I typically only drive 60 mph and 55 mph when the speed limit drops. I noticed I was getting 7.5 mpg which was a huge increase. The added benefit is I get little or no wind turblence from big trucks as they pass or we pass them. I do get some when the wind hits my trailer but the air tabs are well worth the cost and not only pays for them self over time does improve handling significantly. I have not seen anyone else who has them but I have been asked several times about them. My recommendation is get them, they are well worth it - happy rving

First, I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum!

Second, WOW! You increased your fuel mileage from 6 MPG to 7.5 MPG with no other changes than the installation of a set of AirTabs? Even the manufacturer claims that users are seeing a 2% to 4% annual fuel mileage gain. That would translate into 6.1 - 6.3 MPG if you had been getting 6 MPG prior to installation. Maybe you slowed down a bit, your previous air filter was very, very dirty. Maybe you were going downhill all the way or you were lucky and had a healthy, never-ending tail winds, or you forgot to carry the 1 when doing the math, or something else, but I highly doubt that the AirTabs alone were responsible for that kind of a gain.

Bill,

It appears that the Air Tabs were just one of the modifications he made at the same time. He mentioned an F & N filter-- suspect he means a K & N filter.

Calculating MPG change is a really inexact science. Just too many variables unless calculated over a long period of time.

I do agree that my MPG is up, but Air Tabs were just one of the changes I made to our coach.

Brett

HAS ANYONE INSTALLED THE AIRTAB SYSTEM (THEY SAY AIRTABS BREAK UP THE VACUUM BEHIND THE MOTORHOME AND INCREASE THE MPG SLIGHTLY. AND ALSO KEEP THE REAR CLEANER AND HELP WITH THE SIDE THRUST WHEN BEING PASSED BY 18 WHEELERS.)

I JUST GOT A '09 ITASKA LATITUDE 39W AND AM CONSIDERING ADDING THESE.

Thanks!

I used the Airtabs on a 2005 Titanium 5th wheel with great success so when I traded for an 2007 Damon Tuscany I installed the Airtabs again. Can't say the mileage is better but the ride is better when passing or being past by semi's. I recommend the Airtabs

John (BJ) Fletcher

One other thing, they do keep the back of the coach clean but only till you pass under an over pass or go thru a tunnel.

BJ

Edited by bjfletcher

What I am wondering is would they reduce the wind noise if installed on the windshield support posts in the front of the bus?

I have them on my coach. 09 Damon Astoria. I also had them on an Expedition. I like them very much and yes they do improve wind handling a whole bunch. As for the MPG improvement, it wouldn't be much if any. I bought them for the handling not the fuel savings. Took me about two hours to install them and the look of them does grow on you believe it or not and for darn sure they are a good conversation started in the RV parks.

Open wheel race car drivers(Indy cars and Formula 1) have raised areas on their helmets. This is for stability of the head. The wind is disturbed as it passes over the raised areas and stops wind buffeting. Same principle as Air Tabs. They dont have them for fuel mileage gain or to keep themselves clean.

My opinion....only buy them for the possible stability gain.

We have a 2002 Signature by Triple E. 37 feet long. We put air tabs on 2 years ago. My co-pilot noticed the difference our first time out. No being pushed by big rigs. As for fuel mileage I have noticed no real difference. Happy mortoring.