otreadway

Michelin XRV Tire Availability

I can't find any Michelin XRV 305/70 R 22.5 tires anywhere in the Mid Atlantic. I have checked with Newmar, since I have a 43ft Mountain Aire and they sent me to the chassis manufacturer. I called Workhorse and they sent me to their dealers in the DC area. Over a week now and no one has an answer on a replacement tire! I have too many years on the current tires to make any trip. Every Michelin dealer says the tire size I need is on back order and no one knows when they will get them. All say they are afraid to make a recommendation of a replacement tire.

Any suggestions out there?

Beeze2

If Brett's suggestion doesn't provide an answer You might need to look at alternate brand tires for the coach. If you go that route it is suggested that all tires on an axle, especially the front, be the same size, brand, design, Load Range and carry the same CIP based on the measured load on the heavier end of that axle. I further suggest a +10% on the inflation so you aren't running the minimum needed.

Last month, I suffered a rear outboard blowout with my 2002 Monaco Diplomat on the NY Thruway (a non-event operationally). I limped into a Service Area, and called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. It took them about 90 minutes to locate a 275/70/R22.5 replacement tire, and another hour to arrive. The technician then installed the tire in twenty minutes flat, without removing the wheel.... impressive!. The total bill for the one new tire approached a thousand dollars, with a one-hour labor charge of $148.50, and a dubious "Warranty" costing an extra $43.50.

The replacement tire was a Michelin XZE, so upon return home, I decided to obtain another Michelin and put the two new ones on the front. My local tire dealer (Zeller Tire in Torrington CT) works with FMCA Michelin Advantage, which gave me huge savings over than the one installed on the Thruway. The ride with two new Michelins on the front was so much improved, that I decided to replace the four in back, which were nearly aged out. There was a short delay getting four more XZEs (turns out that the Michelin truck was hijacked), and my account with Michelin had timed out after 30 days. Took just a phone call to Michelin to get the account re-authorized, and get the paperwork flowing again.

I've always liked Michelin tires, but felt I couldn't afford them on the RV. I'm now a big fan of the FMCA Michelin Advantage program. I'm also considering switching my Roadside Assistance from Good Sam to FMCA.

I had the same issue, could not find and 235-80R 22.5 for my coach, the very few I could find were old stock, Both the XZE and the XRV are on national back order. Looking for alternates I found the TOYO 245-75R 22.5 almost identical in size but at a much lower cost. I did check with a few tire pro's I have know for years and all said the TOYO's would be a great tire for my RV. :)

I can't find any Michelin XRV 305/70 R 22.5 tires anywhere in the Mid Atlantic. I have checked with Newmar, since I have a 43ft Mountain Aire and they sent me to the chassis manufacturer. I called Workhorse and they sent me to their dealers in the DC area. Over a week now and no one has an answer on a replacement tire! I have too many years on the current tires to make any trip. Every Michelin dealer says the tire size I need is on back order and no one knows when they will get them. All say they are afraid to make a recommendation of a replacement tire.

Any suggestions out there?

Beeze2

Check for Toyo's. I just replaced my rear michlin's saved several hundred in the meantime.

I want to replace the Michelin XRV 235/80R22.5 tires on my motorhome using the FMCA Michelin program.

However, my local Michelin dealer is unable to locate the tires and they are on backorder from Michelin.

Anyone know of any dealers in VA, NC or SC with the XRV's in stock?

Thanks.

I too have tried for more than 6 weeks to track down some XRVs. I joined FMCA specifically to use the discount all to no avail. TCI ( in Nashville is a nationwide large truck tire company and they assured me that as primarily a Michelin dealer that would have no problem getting the tires. Well today I went to Goodyear and had the two steer tires replaced. Sad FMCA program, sad Michelin company. There is, and apparently has been for many years according to a local tire distributor, an issue with these Michelin special sized tires. Seems they are made in specific numbers for new coaches only. I was at the time standing in http://www.cullummaxey.com dealership front showroom with a new Fleetwood in front of us with the new Michelins on the coach. This Michelin Advantage program is rather a disadvantage because the issue of advertising a product for sale as part of an incentive to buy into the program has turned into a bitter pill to swallow and because of this my membership in this FMCA organization for next year is very doubtful.

I had the same issue, could not find and 235-80R 22.5 for my coach, the very few I could find were old stock, Both the XZE and the XRV are on national back order. Looking for alternates I found the TOYO 245-75R 22.5 almost identical in size but at a much lower cost. I did check with a few tire pro's I have know for years and all said the TOYO's would be a great tire for my RV. :)

I am having the same problem everyone else is. I just got off the phone with Michelin and they 235/80R22.5 are still not on the production list for the next four weeks. There is not a whole lot of clearance in my front wheel wells and I am concerned about going to anything other than what is on there. How much clearance did you have?

I am having the same problem everyone else is. I just got off the phone with Michelin and they 235/80R22.5 are still not on the production list for the next four weeks. There is not a whole lot of clearance in my front wheel wells and I am concerned about going to anything other than what is on there. How much clearance did you have?

Welcome to the forum vgsully. It is simple enough go to the Michelin web site in this case for the XRV http://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/selector/#!/info/xrv

Here are the main things you will need to match in a different brand.

Overall Diameter 37.1 in, Overall Width 9.2 in, Max Load Per Tire Single 4675/110 lbs/psi, Max Load Per Tire Dual 4410/110 lbs/psi

All you have to do is match with, diameter and load range.

Good year says 235/80R22.5 = 245/75R22.5

Bill

Breeze2/ You indicate you live in the mid-Atlantic region? Visit Service Tires website ( sttc.com ) for a nearby dealer and give them a call. The people in the York PA branch are very pleasant to deal with and they can at least tell you if the tires you want are available. If you call another branch closer to you you will then be armed with valid info, in case the person answering is not in a helpful mood. Sometimes we all have a bad day. I had XZE tires installed last year when they were hard to get and they were at the dealer in just a few days. If they can't get them probably nobody can. They have branches from Richmond all of the way to the NH/ME state line. Big Outfit/ Gold Standard for me. They also participate in FMCAs Advantage Plan.

I have an 2005 Itasca 33V on a Workhorse chassis with original 235 80 22.5s and no spare, I am considering changing front wheels to 22.5 x 8.25 Accuride alloys and 255/70r 22.5 BFGs, Generals or Continentals or possibly 275/70R22.5s and run lower air pressure due to larger tires! Has anyone done this, the original alloys which could have been bought on this chassis were 7.50" wide! I am going to keep one of the 235s as a spare any advice?

12 hours ago, Harlin said:

I have an 2005 Itasca 33V on a Workhorse chassis with original 235 80 22.5s and no spare, I am considering changing front wheels to 22.5 x 8.25 Accuride alloys and 255/70r 22.5 BFGs, Generals or Continentals or possibly 275/70R22.5s and run lower air pressure due to larger tires! Has anyone done this, the original alloys which could have been bought on this chassis were 7.50" wide! I am going to keep one of the 235s as a spare any advice?

You didn't provide measured front tire loads. Have you clearly identified the heavy tire minimum inflation needed in each of the 3 sizes you are discussing?

Ensuring the wheels meet the specified width requirements for the tire size you are looking at is also a good plan. Some overlook this fitment fact when changing tire size.

I suggest the CIP be at least the minimum needed to support the measured load PLUS 10% margin. This means you do not have to go chasing tire inflation if you run into a cold weather snap and find your pressure has dropped below your minimum which can happen if you only inflate to the pressure needed to support the load.

Like the new Michelin Advantage page on the FMCA site. Like the fact that it gives specific prices for each size in the program on both Michelin and Continental.   I am somewhat baffled by the fact that several local retailers here in Georgia offer XRV Michelin's in 235/80R/22.5  in the $530.00-$550.00 range, including taxes, balance & mount.  The local prices are all lower that the Advantage Program.   As members of FMCA we are be buying in quantity, we should get a better price. 

Barkley, your not the first to notice that....something has changed in the last year or 18 months!  No answer from FMCA.

I noticed the discounts are not on a % basis. I got a better price break when I bought tires for my CR-V than the price savings quoted on 255-80 22.5. I would look at the Continental program.

Bill

The Michelin XZA2 Energy in the size I need (295/80R) are on backorder (again).  I'm going with Continentals rather than wait for the Michelins to be produced.

CarlAda. 

Are you running 295's for all 8?  When I got mine in August 2014, I used Superior Tire Service in Eugene, OR.  541-744-2000 have you tried them? I replaced my steer tires with XZA2, 315/80R and 6, 295/80R.  Took them 2 days to find the 295's !

I will use them again!

Carl

Carl, no, I have 315s on the front, but they're new.  The 295s are on the drives and tag.  

Carl

I don't know what the story is, but non-Michelin dealers here in middle Georgia can get XRV 235X80RX22.5 tires from local tire distributors warehouse usually taking only thirty minuets to deliver to the dealer. I waited three weeks to get them from Michelin. If you need this size, check around with the larger tire retailer's they seem to be able to get them without difficulty. I bought four from Michelin Advantage last week and found I could get them for the same price at non-Michelin tire retailers. I don't know if this is a regional thing or nationwide. But if you need tires check around!

On 8/9/2015 at 4:48 PM, Beeze2 said:

Every Michelin dealer says the tire size I need is on back order and no one knows when they will get them. All say they are afraid to make a recommendation of a replacement tire.

Try some of your local truck tire distributors who are not Michelin Commercial dealers, it seems independant tire distributors are sourced differently, and in my area Macon GA, every two bit tire reseller can get Michelins from their distributer in 30 minutes. You will pay more than the Micheln Advantage plan, but less than the MSRP, and  they are available. (Love's Truck centers handles them also, but are higher than MSRP.) If you are in Byron GA. (Macon) area, try Peach Tire, 478-956-5722. 

No affiliation!

Need 235/80R/22.5 in Michelin XRV?  Just bought five at Macon Commercial Tire, Macon, GA.  (478-743-0002) seems to have availability at their Atlanta warehouse. Call Gregg, tell him what you want and he will order it for you and have it in 4-5 days. Be sure to tell them it is under the FMCA Michelin Advantage Plan, or they will charge the street price. Be sure to register your credit card the day before you want to buy. somewhere i read the registration is good for thirty days, apparently that is not true, Michelin says 24 hours. if you call the after hours card registration, you may have to wait a hour or two for them to place the info in the system the next day. glad i don't have to buy tires often, not a smooth process.  When the dealer screwed up the invoice, a call to Michelin Customer Service got it straightened out quickly.