Sign in to follow this  
davidsuzanne

ABS Light And Pumping Sound /Vibration When I Step On The Brake

Hello all,

We just purchased a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 32W. We brought it home this past Saturday. Once it was parked and I restarted it I could hear a pumping sound and slight vibration when I stepped on the brake pedal. Also the ABS light would stay on for about 3-4 seconds. I called the salesman we bought it from and he told me this was normal sound for all Gas powered MH because the hydraulics in the braking system were starting up.

This noise did not happen in our 2001 Coachman MH. If I turn off all of the batteries in the RV and step on the brake pedal I still hear this noise. If I start the RV without stepping on the brake pedal I don't hear the noise but the ABS light seems to stay on longer than "normal". Is my salesmen correct?

Appreciate your comments. I have 30 day limited warranty on the RV.

Dave

Dave,

What chassis do you have? Workhorse P or W? Ford F53?

Assume you have checked the level of the hydraulic fluid (PS) and also the brake master cylinder.

Some of the newer ABS systems store fluid internally. So the question is, did someone do some brake work on the unit and what work was done?

Air in the systems can cause the ABS systems and the brakes to be soft or pulse.

This could have caused issue, if it had not been driven after the work was done.

Rich.

If you hear a motor running while stepping on the brakes and engine off that is the backup hydraulic power brake system. That system is there if engine was to stall while your moving and had to stop quickly. It also will run the motor while you're starting with foot on the pedal until engine hydraulic pump takes over. The ABS system goes through a self check when engine is first started also. If none of this happens once you're underway you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for all of your comments..... Today I took the RV to the mechanic who does my servicing and he told me exactly what huffypuff posted earlier today. Nothing to worry about.

Regards, Dave