Sign in to follow this  
elkhartjim

Overnight Near Birmingham, AL Airport

Doesn't seem to be much to choose from near the airport. I need to drop my wife at the airport mid morning (a Saturday) and would like to be within 20-30 miles. The state parks have a two day minimum on weekends and other close by parks are mobile home parks, where I've never been too excited staying. I'm looking as far east as the Taladega-Pell City area.

Any suggestions other than a Walmart or Flying J is appreciated.

On the opposite side of the airport towards Tuscaloosa, there are some RV parks, including Tannehill State Park. Tannehill does not take reservations, it is first come first serve, and most of the time there is several sites open.

Next door to Loves truck stop, there is another park which was a KOA, but has sold to a private owner, and I will check the name and phone number.

Or you can stay at my place, free of charge, Have 50 amp hookup, and in the middle of nowhere. I will also check on some other possible sites within a few days, and pm them to you.

Kay, (PS) I'm within 17 miles of the airport.

Thanks. Oak Mountain and Tannenhill each have a two day minimum on the weekend. I appreciate your offer of the "middle of nowhere", thats usually our favorite place.

You might try the Hoover RV Park:

Hoover RV Park
100 Ben Chapman Dr, Birmingham, AL 35244
(205) 739-7400
Oak Mt SP is 2 days for reservations, but 1 day for "Walkins" on the weekend.

I would not stay at the one behind Love's truck stop, at one time was a KOA, but now a work campground to say the least, we stayed there last year, did not let the slides out, slept with one eye opened most of the night.

Bump. I'm still looking for suggestions. There are several campgrounds in the Talladega area but most don't have any current (within a year) reviews. Any suggestions for that area?

Sorry Jim, that is where I get my information. I trust it more then Trailer Life or Good Sam's ratings.

Hope you find a place in time to make your connections.

Herman

RV Park Reviews has always been my go to for finding a place to stay. I do discount the 10's and the 1's because some rate all their stays as a 9 or 10 and some rate all a 1 or 2. My problem for the Birmingham area reviews is they are old reviews, some as old as 2011.

Wally World is beginning to look pretty darn good.

On the opposite side of the airport towards Tuscaloosa, there are some RV parks, including Tannehill State Park. Tannehill does not take reservations, it is first come first serve, and most of the time there is several sites open.

Next door to Loves truck stop, there is another park which was a KOA, but has sold to a private owner, and I will check the name and phone number.

Or you can stay at my place, free of charge, Have 50 amp hookup, and in the middle of nowhere. I will also check on some other possible sites within a few days, and pm them to you.

Kay, (PS) I'm within 17 miles of the airport.

Just wondering if this offer still stands.

The only place to stay in Birmingham is the Hoover met. This is in Hoover which is really (don't tell the people in Hoover) part of Birmingham. It is part of the Hoover park and rec. dept.

It is for class A motor homes it has cable TV, 50 amps,30 amps water and sewer. It is all paved and can hold about 150 coaches. A single night will cost you about $32.00.

Bump. I'm still looking for suggestions. There are several campgrounds in the Talladega area but most don't have any current (within a year) reviews. Any suggestions for that area?

I second the Hoover RV park. Stayed there several times traveling through Alabama and visiting friends. Excellent.