dkreuzen

2013 FMCA Rally Storm Damage

For those of you that were at the 2013 FMCA Rally in Gillette last June during the hail storm... I found that the fins on my A/C coils on the roof had been damaged by the hail. The back of my rig was facing into the wind and it appears that the force of the hail was enough to flatten the fins that were exposed to the openings in the covers. They looked like someone had put their finger in each opening and mashed the fins.

I was having problems with the A/C units not working as good as they should on the way home from the event. It was really hot (117-121) on our last leg and I was running the house A/C to keep it cool. I have been talking to the manufacture of the A/C units and they suggested inspecting the units for being dirty. I finally had a chance to get on the roof and check things out last weekend and that's when I discovered the fins. It took me awhile to straighten them out but it's all good now.

So if you were there you should check your A/C units for damage.

post-13880-0-29216200-1402501958_thumb.j

Anyone know where you can find a good fin comb these days. I have looked and looked at the various retail stores and cannot fine anything other than one with a bunch of wires with no particular spacing adjustments. I used to have a plastic fin comb with several spacing options but I don't know what happened to it or where to find a replacement.

Bill, The AC supply shops have fin tools. The fin spacing on the Roof AC units is Very small.

The real issue regarding the hail damage, was the fins being bent down on top of each other. This prevented the tools from fitting between the fines. So I needed to use an old table knife to open up the spacing of fins, the width of the fine fin tool I found to see how that worked to make things look neat.

That proved time consuming also and really did not improve performance. So I think just using a knife and a lot of patience works the best under the circumstances.

Rich.