Sign in to follow this  
garyvonmarsh

Flat Towing A 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Does any one have any experience flat towing a 2014 Jeep Cherokee? I am considering a Cherokee Trailhawk as a replacement for my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has anyone had any problems with the Cherokee vehicles?

Gary Marsh

Make sure the model has a transfer case that can be shifted to Neutral. If it does not, it is NOT flat towable.

I just purchased one in April and had the Jeep dealership install tow bar brackets (Demco), Lights and tow brake (Unified Tow Brake) as far as towing behind the motorhome it does great but stay away from the Unified Tow Brake I had to send back the solenoid because it was defective out of the box, towed the Cherokee on one trip after installation and the vacuum pump went out. The Cherokee does not have a steering wheel lock so that means you don't have to leave the key on while towing or pull any fuses, disengaging the transfer case is a push of a button (just follow the instructions in the manual), I replaced a 2006 Jeep Wrangler and this one is easier since I don't have to worry with the locking steering wheel.

Yea, somewhere in 2008 Jeep had the foresight to remove the steering wheel lock. Perhaps this was after urging by the RV community as it seems Jeep is one of the popular toads on the market. You just have to be sure you get the transfer case that can be shifted to Neutral.